[BBC] NBIC PhD Course Algorithms for Biological Networks open for registration

Celia van Gelder C.vanGelder at cmbi.ru.nl
Mon Nov 23 12:46:22 CET 2009

Dear researcher,

The third course of the NBIC PhD School is now open for registration:

PhD-Course:                  Algorithms for Biological Networks
Date:                            11-15 January 2010
Location:                       Delft, the Netherlands
Course Credits:             3 EC
Course Coordinator:       Dick de Ridder, TUD, Delft

*Short course description*

In this course, we will first give a brief overview of molecular
biology, the advent of high-throughput measurement techniques and large
databases containing biological knowledge, and the importance of
networks to model all this. We will highlight a number of peculiar
features of biological networks. Next, a number of basic network models
(linear, Boolean, Bayesian) will be discussed, as well as methods of
inferring these from observed measurement data. A number of alternative
network models more suited for high-level simulation of cellular
behavior will also be introduced. Building on the network inference
methods, a number of ways of integrating various data sources and
databases to refine biological networks will be discussed. Finally, we
will give some examples of applications of graph mining algorithms
(dense subgraph extraction, small recurring subgraph enumeration, graph
alignment) to learn about biology.

More information about the course can be found on the course website:
http://inpc55.et.tudelft.nl/nbic/abn/

*Registration*

You can register via the registration form on
http://www.nbic.nl/education/nbic-phd-school/enrolment/. Please note:
the course is free for PhD students working in a BioRange (including
matching) or BioAssist project. Others can participate as well when
paying a course fee (see Enrolment page). This course is part of the
Education Programme of the NBIC PhD School. The PhD School is an
initiative of NBIC together with a number of universities  to organize
high level education and training for PhD-students in bioinformatics.
More information about the latest developments of the NBIC PhD School
can also be found on the NBIC website (www.nbic.nl <http://www.nbic.nl>
-> Education -> NBIC PhD School).

Best regards,

Celia van Gelder
Netherlands Bioinformatics Centre (NBIC)

Dr. Celia van Gelder
Projectleader Education NBIC
+31 (0)24 3666120 (direct)
+31 (0)24 36 19500 (office)

--
Dr. Celia W.G. van Gelder
Coordinator Education CMBI
e-mail: C.vanGelder at cmbi.ru.nl
websites: www.cmbi.ru.nl, www.nbic.nl

Postal address:
CMBI 260
Radboud University Nijmegen-Medical Centre /NCMLS
PO Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen
The Netherlands