[BBC] volunteers asked to take over the maintenance of the list !

BEN ben at vub.ac.be
Tue Jan 5 12:03:29 CET 2010

	Dear readers of the BBClist,

I guess I do not have to tell you about the usefulness of the BBC
mailing list, from which you receive each week a few messages. This list
(first Belgian, later Benelux) has since its begin been managed by the
now defunct Belgian EMBnet Node. I have untill now continued to do the
management on a voluntary basis but it is not reasonable that I should
keep doing this forever. Therefore we are searching a volunteer to take
over the list, preferably a person or a group with a stable position in
the field of bioinformatics and involved in collaborations within one or
more countries of the Benelux.

You can choose between two options :
Either you install the list on a MailMan or MajorDomo server of you own
OR
The list stays on the MailMan server of the BBPF, which can without
problem continue to host our list for several years to come, and you
only take the responsability to do the administrative management.

As manager you must do 3 things :
1. The list is currently configured in such a way that mails coming from
adresses in the list are stored for moderation and mails coming from
other adresses are automatically discarded. If there are mails in the
queue the server sends overnight a warning to the manager. So, the first
moment of the day that I check my mail I attend the moderation of the
list. I have only once seen a spam, but I have several times seen the
same mail send twice (and then I forward only one copy). You could of
course decide to change the way you want to handle the list.
2. You must each year obtain from the organizers of the BBC the adresses
of the participants and add them to the list.
3. Although the readers of the list can manage themselves their
(un)subscription there are occasionally punctual interventions
(add/change/remove addresses) to do for the sake of persons who have
forgotten their password or otherwise need assistance, but this happens
no more than about a dozen times a year.

So, you see, it is really not much work. If you are interested, answer
by returning mail (do not forget to present yourself and tell which of
the two options you go for).

	Happy 2010 !
	Guy Bottu

BEN - Belgian EMBnet Node at the Brussels Free Universities Computing Centre
                                 |  Address  BEN  ULB CP 257
   Fax    +32/2/6505124          |           Boulevard du Triomphe
   email  ben at vub.ac.be          |           B-1050   Bruxelles