[BBC] postdoc job vacancy at KU Leuven - ESAT-SCD-SISTA-BIOI group : Candidate gene prioritization by genomic data fusion

Michiel Van Bel michiel.vanbel at psb.vib-ugent.be
Tue Apr 10 13:18:06 CEST 2012

 > Candidate gene prioritization by genomic data fusion
 >

 > Promotor: <http://www.kuleuven.be/wieiswie/en/person/00012794>Yves Moreau

searching for an exceptional postdoctoral fellow who will work under the
supervision of Prof. Yves Moreau to develop a novel platform for
candidate gene prioritization by genomic data fusion. The lab has
developed Endeavour for the prioritization of candidate diseases genes
using heterogeneous genomic data (Aerts et al., 2006). This platform is
now broadly established within the human genetics community as an
effective tool to support disease gene discovery (Thienpont et al.,
2010). We have also extended our original methodology using network
analysis (Lage et al., 2007) and kernel methods (De Bie et al., 2007; Yu
et al., 2010). The goal of the postdoctoral fellow will be to develop a
platform for gene prioritization that implements such strategies and is
broadly usable by wet-bench biologists (web interface) and
bioinformaticians (API or web service).

 > The candidate will hold a PhD in bioinformatics with an excellent
publication record. The ideal candidate will have a strong record in
software engineering of bioinformatics methods, analysis of molecular
networks, and practical applications of kernel methods. Excellent Java
and web application development skills are essential. The candidate
should have extensive practical knowledge of kernel methods, including
software libraries (for example, Shogun). Knowledge of multiple kernel
learning and feature selection methods is a plus, as well as the
capacity to develop novel kernel algorithms. Knowledge of molecular
network analysis and bag-of-word text-mining methods are additional assets.

 > The postdoctoral fellow will be embedded in the SymBioSys Center for
Computational Systems Biology, which is a consortium of computational
scientists and molecular biologists at the University of Leuven that
focuses on how individual genomic variation leads to disease through
cascading effects across biological networks (in constitutional
disorders and leukemias). We develop innovative computational strategies
for next-gen sequencing and biological network analysis, with
demonstrated contributions to actual biological breakthroughs. Eagerness
to collaborate with biologists and geneticists on gene discovery
projects is crucial. Ability to contribute to coaching PhD students and
acquiring external funding is another plus.

 > We offer a competitive package and a fun, dynamic environment with a
top-notch consortium of young leading scientists in bioinformatics,
human genetics, and cancer. Our consortium offers a rare level of
interdisciplinarity, from machine learning algorithms to fundamental
advances in molecular biology to direct access to the clinic. The
University of Leuven is one of Europe’s leading research universities,
with English as the working language for research. Leuven is one of
Europe’s most beautiful university towns, just outside Brussels, at the
heart of Europe.

 > Related publications by the lab
 > oAerts S et al. Gene prioritization through genomic data fusion. Nat
Biotechnol. 2006.
 > oThienpont B et al. Haploinsufficiency of TAB2 causes congenital
heart defects in humans. Am J Hum Genet. 2010.
 > oLage K et al. A human phenome-interactome network of protein
complexes implicated in genetic disorders. Nat Biotechnol. 2007.
 > oDe Bie T et al. Kernel-based data fusion for gene prioritization.
Bioinformatics. 2007.
 > oYu S et al. L2-norm multiple kernel learning and its application to
biomedical data fusion. BMC Bioinformatics. 2010.

 > Key words: bioinformatics, candidate gene prioritization, genomic
data fusion, network analysis, kernel methods, software engineering,
Endeavour

 > Start date: 2012-09-1
 > Application date: 2012-06-26
 > Publication date: 2012-03-26
 >
 > Financing: SymBioSys
 >
 > Link: <http://www.esat.kuleuven.be/scd/>http://www.esat.kuleuven.be/scd/
 >
 > Research group: Department of Electrical Engineering (ESAT)
 >
 > Remarks: Please send in PDF:
 > (1) a CV including education (with Grade Point Average, class rank,
honors, etc.), research experience, and bibliography,
 > (2) a one-page research statement, and
 > (3) three references (with phone and email) to Prof. Yves Moreau, c/o
Ms. Mimi Deprez –
<mailto:mimi.deprez at esat.kuleuven.be>mimi.deprez at esat.kuleuven.be.
Preferred start date is September 2012. The candidate will commit to a
three-year postdoc period.

 > Apply to
<http://phd.kuleuven.be/set/postdoc/voorstellen_departement?departement=50000516>Click
here to apply to this project