[BBC] [Gtpb] GTPB Course announcement - IPSI12 Introduction to Population Structure Inference

Pedro Fernandes pfern at igc.gulbenkian.pt
Wed Nov 7 10:07:36 CET 2012

IGC, Oeiras, Portugal

Course Announcement

                              IPSI12
           Introduction to Population Structure Inference

  with Lounès Chikhi and Vitor Sousa

    IMPORTANT DATES for this Course
    Deadline for applications: November 30th 2012
    Latest notification of acceptance: December 5th 2012
    Course date: December 17th - 19th 2012

Candidates with adequate profile will be accepted in the next 72 hours
after the application until we reach 20 participants.

http://gtpb.igc.gulbenkian.pt/bicourses/IPSI12/

Overview

Genetic data are increasingly used by ecologists and evolutionary
biologists in general. It has thus become important for many
biologists with different levels of experience to produce and analyse
genetic data. In this short course we shall try to take a practical
approach to the analysis of genetic data, but we will also provide
some of the theoretical background required to understand the outputs
of the software used. This course will be organised so as to mix
sessions where important notions are introduced with practicals where
freely available software will be used. While this will not be the
focus of the course, we will also discuss genealogical
(coalescent-based) simulation methods and those based on
forward-in-time simulations. Altogether this will allow to discuss the
potentialities and limitations of the tools available to the community.

In this three-day course we will introduce the main concepts that
underlie many of the population structured models that are frequently
used in population genetics. We will focus on the importance of
demographic history (e.g. effective sizes and migration patterns) in
shaping genetic data. We will go through the basic notions that are
central to population genetics, insisting particularly on the
statistics used to measure genetic diversity and population
differentiation. The course will also cover a short introduction to
coalescent theory, Bayesian inference in population genetics and data
simulation, as they are connected to what makes landscape genetics
today on the basis of multilocus data.

Most theory will be put into practice in practical sessions, analyzing
real and/or simulated datasets. In these sessions, we will

(i) look at measures of genetic diversity and differentiation using GENETIX;
(ii) use methods to detect population structure as implemented in the
programs GENECLASS2 and STRUCTURE;
(iii) use geneland to detect genetic clusters using spatial
information on the sampling locations of individuals, and
(iv) learn how to perform coalescent simulations of genetic data
(using SPAms and ms).

Thank you for your interest!     (deadline for applications Nov 30th)

--
*******
Upcoming Training Courses in GTPB:
http://gtpb.igc.gulbenkian.pt/bicourses/IPSI12