[BBC] postdocs wanted to work in Pretoria, South Africa

Yves Van de Peer yves.vandepeer at psb.vib-ugent.be
Sat Sep 14 17:01:43 CEST 2013

The Van de Peer lab (http://bioinformatics.psb.ugent.be/beg/) is setting up a joint lab in Bioinformatics and Systems Biology at the University of Pretoria (http://web.up.ac.za).

Recently, the University of Pretoria founded a new Genomics Research Center, focusing on five major themes, namely Microbial and Environmental Genomics, Plant Genomics, Fungal Genomics, Animal and protozoon genomics, and Human Genomics.  To support research in these respective fields, we are setting up a new Bioinformatics and Systems Biology research group at the University of Pretoria, which will be closely interconnected with the Bioinformatics group at Ghent University.  In this respect, we are currently looking for 3 Postdoctoral Fellows (to be working in Pretoria).

We seek creative, skilled and highly motivated candidates with a PhD in bioinformatics or computational biology. We do require strong analytical, computational skills proven by an excellent publication record.  Experience with next generation sequence and whole genome sequence data is also required. Applicants should be proficient in programming (Perl, Python, C++ or Java) and knowledge in statistics and/or mathematical modeling would be an asset.  Good communication skills are essential and applicants should be proficient in English, both speaking and writing.

Funding is secured for at least three years, and may be extended.

Contact Yves Van de Peer (yves.vandepeer at psb.ugent.be) for more information and/or to apply.  To apply, please send a single PDF file that contains a cover letter describing your research interests and experience, full C.V., and contact information for three references.  Review of applications will begin on October 1st and continue until the positions are filled.   Start: As soon as possible.

--

Check out http://www.plantgenomeevolution.com/

Yves Van de Peer, PhD.

Professor in Bioinformatics and Genome Biology
Group Leader Bioinformatics and Systems Biology, Department of Plant Systems Biology
Ghent University
Technologiepark 927
B-9052 Ghent
Belgium