[BBC] Postdoctoral positions at University of Pretoria

Thomas Van Parys thpar at psb.vib-ugent.be
Tue Dec 17 10:35:42 CET 2013

The Van de Peer lab (http://bioinformatics.psb.ugent.be/beg/) is setting
up a joint lab in Bioinformatics and Systems Biology at the University
of Pretoria (http://web.up.ac.za).

Recently, the University of Pretoria founded a new Genomics Research
Center, focusing on five major themes, namely Microbial and
Environmental Genomics, Plant Genomics, Fungal Genomics, Animal and
protozoon genomics, and Human Genomics.  To support research in these
respective fields, we are setting up a new Bioinformatics and Systems
Biology research group at the University of Pretoria, which will be
closely interconnected with the Bioinformatics group at Ghent
University.  In this respect, we are currently looking for 3
Postdoctoral Fellows (to be working in Pretoria).

We seek creative, skilled and highly motivated candidates with a PhD in
bioinformatics or computational biology.  Candidates with a PhD in
(molecular) biology, genetics or computer science will also be
considered, if they have proven expertise in bioinformatics. We do
require strong analytical, computational skills proven by an excellent
publication record. Experience with next generation sequence and whole
genome sequence data is also required. Applicants should be proficient
in programming (Perl, Python, C++ or Java) and knowledge in statistics
and/or mathematical modeling would be an asset. Good communication
skills are essential and applicants should be proficient in English,
both speaking and writing.  The hired postdoctoral fellows will work in
a highly international environment.

Funding is secured for at least three years, and may be extended.

Contact Yves Van de Peer (yves.vandepeer at psb.ugent.be) for more
information and/or to apply.  To apply, please send a single PDF file
that contains a cover letter describing your research interests and
experience, full C.V., and contact information for three references.
Review of applications will continue until the positions are filled.
Start: As soon as possible.

--
Thomas Van Parys
Tel:+32 (0)9 331 36 95                        fax:+32 (0)9 3313809