[BBC] NRNB Google Summer of Code 2014

Egon Willighagen egon.willighagen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 10:36:29 CET 2014

Hi all,

as you may know the BiGCaT group in Maastricht collaborates with
others in the USA NRNB consortium on WikiPathways, PathVisio, and
BridgeDb. This National Resource for Network Biology (NRNB) was
accepted into our 8th year of Google Summer of Code!  It will be
mentoring Cytoscape, WikiPathways, PathVisio, MedSavant, Virtual Cell,
and other network-related projects.

The GSoC funds students to work on Open Source bioinformatics tools
(in fact, NRNB is just one of the bioinformatics mentoring
organizations) during the summer holidays.

The next week or two is the time for students to show there interest
and hook up with the developers to work out a project plan they will
submit and hope to get accepted (e.g. mashups to other BeNeLux
bioinformatics tools with Cytoscape, PathVisio, etc!).

http://nrnb.org/gsoc/

On this page is also provided a long list of project ideas, though
students can come up with new ideas too:

http://nrnb.org/gsoc/ideas2.html

Students should keep in mind that this is a particularly active time
for our developer communities, so please be patient with the uptick in
GSoC-related questions and newbie introductions on these mailing lists
over the next few weeks, though.

Potential Students:
1. Now is your time to shine. Get on over to our program page (see
link above), browse the resource links, read the FAQ, and dive into
the Project Ideas tab.
2. Research a few project ideas that catch your attention.
3. Formulate specific questions and original thoughts related to the
ideas (or your own idea).
4. THEN contact your potential mentors via the provided contact
information associated with each idea.

Serious students should have 2-3 projects well-researched and be in
touch with mentors BEFORE March 10. We will work with you to make the
best possible application and give you specific feedback during the
application period from March 10-21. Pro-tip: do not submit your first
draft on the last day.

Please feel free to forward this to bachelor, master, *and* PhD
students whom may be interested.

With kind regards,

Egon Willighagen

--