[BBC] [Gtpb] Fwd: ABSTAT14 Advanced Biostatistics training course - reminder

Pedro Fernandes pfern at igc.gulbenkian.pt
Wed Aug 6 19:11:26 CEST 2014

The Gulbenkian Training Programme in Bioinformatics is happy to
announce that the

ABSTAT14 -  "Advanced Biostatistics for Bioinformatics Tool Users using R"

training course is open for applications

    IMPORTANT DATES for this Course
    Deadline for applications: September 5th 2014             <=========
    Latest acceptance notification: September 6th 2014        <=========
    Course date: September 15th - 18th 2014

Attendance fee: Euro 320.00

Course description
This course is a standalone advanced Biostatistics course that can be
taken as a continuation of the Introductory Biostatistics for
Bioinformatics (IBSTAT) course that precedes it in GTPB. It is
targeted for Biostatistical techniques often employed in analytical
tools for high throughput data and multivariate data. Participants can
expect to attend a thorough set of lectures that will reveal the
conceptual frameworks that are needed to understand the methods.
Extensive hands-on practice will be the main vehicle for providing the
skills and user independence. To keep things in context, the course is
exclusively based on biological examples, worked with Bioinformatics
tools.
Care has been taken not to use any proprietary data or software, so
that the hands-on experience can carry on after the course, providing
maximum user independence. We will be using custom-built R scripts and
packages that are available from the CRAN and Bioconductor repositories.

Methodology
This intensive course will introduce a relatively high number of
concepts and methods. To keep it highly practical, we will spend most
of the time in hands-on sessions.
- We will focus on each method using examples taken from real world
Bioinformatics practice.
- We will then dissect the method, identifying the concepts and
exploring their interrelationships.
- The applicability and limitations of each method will be emphasized.
- The use of the method will be illustrated using appropriate
Bioinformatics tools and biological data resources.

Due to the summer period, there will be little time to deal with the
applications, so the sooner you apply the better and we will do our
best to make the acceptance process run smoothly. Early acceptance
decisions will be the rule, not the exceptions, though you can help in
justifying why you need to know about it in advance (please use the
appropriate space in the Application Form).

More details, including APPLICATION instructions can be found under the URL:
http://gtpb.igc.gulbenkian.pt/bicourses/ABSTAT14/

Thank you for your interest

P. Fernandes
GTPB Coordinator