[BBC] Computational microbiome postdoc positions at Broad Institute

Katrijn Vannerum Katrijn.Vannerum at UGent.be
Tue Sep 16 10:19:12 CEST 2014

The microbiome field is at an important and exciting crossroad: numerous associations have been made that connect the microbes living in and on our bodies with diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease, type 1 diabetes, obesity, and many others, but how these organisms impact the host in health and disease remains largely unknown. We are expanding our team that is broadly engaged in multiple collaborative studies of the roles of the human microbiome in health and disease. The focus of these position(s) is on computational methods to characterize biomolecular functions within these microbial communities and their interactions with host immunity and genetics. We are part of the vibrant research community at the Broad Institute, the Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Harvard School of Public Health, and the broader Boston biomedical and life sciences communities, resulting in a rich environment for quantitative, computational, and laboratory collaborations.

The successful candidate will perform computational analysis of population-scale metagenomic data, the largest datasets of its kind in the world. Specifically, we seek to determine A) links between microbial membership and metabolic function in the gut microbiota; B) causal or correlative changes in the human microbiota during disease onset and treatment; and C) potential biomolecular interactors between the gut microbial community and the host immune system. The candidate will be responsible for computational methods development and/or applications, should be conversant with bioinformatic techniques for genomic data analysis, and will collaborate closely with experimental laboratories in order to validate computational results and their translation to the clinic.

The position will be located within the Broad Institute, and work closely with the Xavier and Huttenhower labs. The Broad Institute is a new kind of deeply collaborative research institution that is transforming medicine and human health by performing experimental research and analyzing scientific data on an unprecedented scale.
We will consider candidates with a doctoral degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Biology, or a related field; familiarity with functional genomic and/or metagenomic data, as indicated by publication record; proficiency in one or more scripting languages appropriate for scalable data analysis; ability to communicate scientific material; Candidates should be resourceful, self-motivated, and possess a proven record of scientific advances leading to high quality publications. Must be capable of working in a collaborative and fast-paced team environment and working on self-directed research projects within broader goals set by group.

If you are interested in applying, please send a cover letter and your CV to Dirk Gevers (dgevers at broadinstitute.org). If you would like more information about the microbiome program at Broad Institute, visit http://www.broadinstitute.org/blog/new-phase-microbiome

Dirk Gevers

Via Dr. Katrijn Vannerum
Project manager
N2N (From Nucleotides to Networks)
Multidisciplinary Research Partnership
Bioinformatics and Systems Biology
Ghent University
http://www.nucleotides2networks.be/
twitter: @N2N_UGent
Katrijn.Vannerum at UGent.be<mailto:Katrijn.Vannerum at UGent.be>
Technologiepark 927
9052 Gent, Belgium
+32 (0)9 331 36 85
[cid:image001.png at 01CFD197.A8E572B0]