[BBC] Data Visualization for Biology: a practical workshop on design, techniques and tools 23-27 November 2015

Alexander Botzki | VIB | Alexander.Botzki at vib.be
Fri Jun 12 08:12:47 CEST 2015

[Forward icon]<http://trainingvib.forwardtomyfriend.com/r-dlhhdihde-67B0562B-atdelt-l-t>

Forward<http://trainingvib.forwardtomyfriend.com/r-dlhhdihde-67B0562B-atdelt-l-i>

Data Visualization for Biology: a practical workshop on design, techniques and tools
We would like to invite you to 'Data Visualization for Biology: a practical workshop on design, techniques and tools' - a workshop jointly organized by KU Leuven ESAT/STADIUS, EMBL-EBI and VIB, taking place in Leuven from 23 to 27 November 2015.
As biological datasets increase in size and complexity, we are moving more and more from an hypothesis-driven research paradigm to a data-driven one. As a result, exploration of that data has become even more crucial than in the past.
In this 5-day workshop, we will dive into the topic of biological data visualization and how it can be used to gain insight in and get a "feel" for a dataset, so that targeted analyses can be defined. We will start by covering theoretical questions like: What is data visualization? How do we perceive images? How can we visualise data in the best possible way? As the workshop continues, it will become more and more hands-on and interactive; a large part will be committed to creating visualisations using the D3 javascript library, including 2-day projects creating interactive visualisations based on data brought by the students themselves.
Confirmed speakers and instructors:
·         Jan Aerts (KU Leuven ESAT/STADIUS, Belgium)
·         Eamonn Maguire (University of Oxford, UK)
·         Francis Rowland (EMBL-EBI, UK)
·         Marc Streit (Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria)
·         Herwig Van Marck (VIB BioInformatics Training and Service facility, Belgium)
Have a look at the training website<http://trainingvib.cmail2.com/t/r-l-atdelt-dlhhdihde-x/> and sign up to join us from 23 to 27 November 2015 in Leuven (KU Leuven ESAT/STADIUS).
Please get in touch, if you need further information.
Best regards,
Alexander
VIB BITS, on behalf of the organizers