[BBC] Postdoc position in Evolutionary and Comparative Genomics

Thomas Van Parys thpar at psb.vib-ugent.be
Tue Mar 29 10:59:10 CEST 2016

Postdoc position in Evolutionary and Comparative Genomics

*Job description*

A two year postdoctoral position is available in the Van de Peer lab in
the Department of Plant Systems Biology (VIB), Bioinformatics Institute
Ghent N2N (BIG N2N), Ghent University, starting August 1st 2016.

Our research group is considered a center of excellence in gene
prediction and genome annotation, and comparative and evolutionary
genomics.  We are currently looking for someone to strengthen our genome
annotation and genome analysis team, in particular someone to work on
the comparative analysis of mites, of which many are important pests for
plants. Amongst other things, we want to unravel the genetic/genomic
cause for specific adaptations linked to lifestyle and herbivory. You
will also be involved in the study of gene and genome duplications,
another major interest of the research group.

*Required Qualifications*

The ideal candidate holds a PhD degree in a relevant field (or
equivalent through experience), is highly interested, ambitious,
curiosity-driven and likes interdisciplinary work.  He/she will need to
interact productively with evolutionary biologists, genome biologists
and computer scientists. Further requirements include a strong
bioinformatics background and deep interest in evolutionary and
comparative biology. Programming/scripting experience (e.g., Perl,
Python, R, …) and experience working in a Linux environment are
essential. The project will make extensive use of RNA-seq and genomic
data sets (using data from Illumina and PacBio platforms).  Therefore, a
background in genomic, transcriptomic and/or epigenetic research and
experience in evolutionary and/or comparative genomics would be ideal.
Since English is the working language of the laboratory and the
institute, excellent English communication skills are imperative.

*Working environment*

The successful candidate will work in the Department of Plant Systems
Biology (VIB) at Ghent University. VIB and BIG N2N
(http://www.bign2n.ugent.be/) offer a supportive and stimulating
environment, with access to excellent computer and academic facilities.
The Van de Peer lab is a computational group and consists of a mix of
molecular and evolutionary biologists and computer scientists.  More
information on our research and research topics can be found at
http://bioinformatics.psb.ugent.be/.

*Contact details*

To apply, please send a single document including a letter of motivation
describing your research motivation and experience, a detailed CV with a
list of publications, and contact details for at least two referees to
yves.vandepeer at psb.ugent.be <mailto:yves.vandepeer at psb.ugent.be>. __

--

Yves Van de Peer, PhD.

Professor, Department of Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, Ghent
University
Group Leader, Department of Plant Systems Biology, VIB
Technologiepark 927
B-9052 Ghent
Belgium

Phone: +32 (0)9 331 3807 <tel:%2B32%20%280%299%20331%203807>
Cell Phone: +32 (0)476 560 091 <tel:%2B32%20%280%29476%20560%20091>
Fax: +32 (0)9 331 3809 <tel:%2B32%20%280%299%20331%203809>
email: yves.vandepeer at psb.vib-ugent.be
<mailto:yves.vandepeer at psb.vib-ugent.be>

http://bioinformatics.psb.ugent.be/
http://www.nucleotides2networks.be/
http://www.plantgenomeevolution.com/

Part-time Professor at the Genomics Research Institute, Department of
Genetics, Pretoria, South Africa