[BBC] Vacancy: PhD position on copy number variation detection in experimental evolution

Ridder, Dick de dick.deridder at wur.nl
Tue Apr 19 11:31:37 CEST 2016

Dear all,

We are looking for an enthusiastic bionformatics PhD candidate on a project titled "Exploiting copy number variation for rapid improvement of abiotic stress tolerance in crops", a collaboration with the Laboratory of Genetics at Wageningen University. Our goal is to experimentally evolve plants in the laboratory under severe stress conditions – high salt or zinc exposure – and study the resulting genomic changes, which we expect to mainly be copy number variation. This will help us understand the role of copy number variation in plant genome evolution and allow us to find ways of use it in crop plant breeding, to improve stress tolerance.

We are looking for an ambitious PhD candidate with an MSc degree in bioinformatics or computer science (with a demonstrable affinity for biology). We are specifically seeking a candidate with a strong background in algorithm development, preferably in NGS data analysis, and demonstrable skills in mathematics and statistics. You will be based in Wageningen, and work in close cooperation with the other PhD candidate in this project and with researchers at Wageningen University and in industry.

Additional information about the position can be found at http://tinyurl.com/h2gfvcx. Interested candidates can apply up to May 21, 2016 through this website.

Best regards,

prof. Dick de Ridder
Bioinformatics Group, Wageningen University, The Netherlands