[BBC] PhD position in Systems Biology

Sophie de Buyl sdebuyl at ulb.ac.be
Fri May 13 17:36:21 CEST 2016

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to ask you to forward the following announcement to
students who might be interested in applying for a PhD position in
Systems Biology at VUB in Brussels.

Thanks a lot!

Sophie de Buyl

PhD in Systems Biology —  Applied Physics Group (APHY) @ VUB

We are looking for a highly motivated PhD student with a Master degree
in Physics, Mathematics, Bio-Engineering or Biology interested in the
development of mathematical and computational models applied to
biological systems. Depending on the interest of the applicant, the PhD
project could be oriented towards modeling the dynamics of
human-associated microbial communities, modeling cellular
differentiation or circadian rhythms. More generally, we focus on the
dynamics of networks of interactions in biological systems. Knowledge of
a programming language is a plus.

The Applied Physics research group (http://we.vub.ac.be/aphy/About) is a
multidisciplinary group of enthusiastic researchers that use
experimental and theoretical methods to address fundamental challenges
in biological physics, condensed matter physics, electromagnetism, laser
physics and photonics. This combination allows an imaginative,
cross-disciplinary and insightful approach to such problems. For
example, we focus on the study of metamaterials and nanophotonics, on
bio-inspired approaches to machine learning (reservoir computing), on
the dynamics of semiconductor lasers, nonequilibrium pattern formation
and soliton dynamics, as well as on genetic transcription, cell division
& microbial interactions in biological systems. APHY is recognised as a
leading and growing research group by the university. For that reason,
in 2014 it received a Strategic Research Project “Applied Physics and
Systems Biology” (2014-2019).

The Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) has been a leading player in the
Flemish Higher Education landscape for 40 years. The University numbers
12.000 students and together with its hospital - UZ Brussel – employs
more than 6000 people. The Vrije Universiteit Brussel is the largest
Dutch speaking employer in the capital. Teaching and research at the VUB
are founded on the principle of unfettered inquiry to benefit the
progress of mankind. This means rejecting dogmatic positions and
guaranteeing the freedom to form opinions without interference; in this
way the University aims to ensure the dispersal of the principle of
unfettered inquiry throughout society. As an employee of the Vrije
Universiteit Brussel your days will be spent in a dynamic, diverse and
multilingual environment. Our campus “Etterbeek” is a green oasis on the
outskirts of the center of the capital of Flanders, Belgium and Europe.
The city center, with all its opportunities, is within your reach by
public transport in less than half an hour.

To apply, please send your CV including grades, a motivation letter (one
page) and one letter of reference (to be sent separately). Your
motivation letter should briefly describe your research interests and
why you are interested in joining our group. Please send your
application material by email to sdebuyl at vub.ac.be. The position is open
until filled and the expected starting date is September 1, 2016 (or
earlier). Also students in their last year expecting to get their
Master’s diploma before Sept. 1 may apply.

______________

Sophie de Buyl
Assistant Professor

Applied Physics Group