[BBC] looking for postdocs in systems genetics @ UMCG

Morris Swertz m.a.swertz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 21:45:54 CEST 2016

See http://www.ow.ly/ylNq301Y9TU

App

We are seeking three ambitious postdocs and one postdoc or PhD student to
contribute to different innovative and interdisciplinary genomics projects.
Please mention the specific position you wish to apply for in your
application.

*Position 1. Senior postdoc position (three years) in Prof. Lude Franke’s
group (www.ludesign.nl/frankelab <http://www.ludesign.nl/frankelab>) *
The Franke group is supported by an ERC Starting grant and an NWO VIDI
grant. The group aims to conduct single-cell RNA-sequencing to identify the
cell types in which disease-risk alleles manifest. We are also interested
in how perturbations, e.g. due to bacterial and viral infection, alter
downstream gene expression effects.

We seek an *experienced and highly skilled post-doc* to design, set up, and
conduct novel single-cell RNA-sequencing experiments that will further our
understanding of common diseases. This postdoc will be responsible for the
design and implementation (including validation and troubleshooting) of the
single-cell RNA-sequencing experiments, for interpreting the results and
writing the associated papers. You will work with a PhD student, who has
already started and who specializes in programming and analysis of next
generation sequencing data.

We expect you to anticipate and respond to new developments in this
fast-moving field and to design the optimal single-cell RNA-sequencing
strategy. You will already have expertise and experience in setting up
complex genomics and sequencing experiments, preferably using limited
amounts of input material, an affinity with immunology, and the ability to
work largely independently.

For more information, please contact Prof. Lude Franke (lude at ludesign.nl).

*Position 2. Junior postdoc position (two years) in Prof. Cisca Wijmenga’s
group (www.systemsgenetics.nl <http://www.systemsgenetics.nl> &
w.rug.nl/research/genetics/research/multifactorialdiseases/
<http://w.rug.nl/research/genetics/research/multifactorialdiseases/>)*
The Wijmenga group is supported by an ERC Advanced grant, an NWO Spinoza
prize and a grant from the KG Jebsen Center for Coeliac Disease (Oslo). Our
highly international and multi-disciplinary group consists of molecular
biologists, immunologists, physicians, bio-statisticians and
bioinformaticians. As part of our on-going collaboration with Prof. Ludvig
Sollid and the Jebsen Center, we are seeking a*junior postdoc* to work on a
project probing the molecular and genetic underpinnings of autoimmune
diseases, with an emphasis on coeliac disease. Various types of immune
cells from coeliac disease patients will be profiled in depth, using
genomics techniques such as RNA-sequencing, ATAC-seq, Precision-Run-On
(PRO) sequencing and ChIP-seq. These data layers will be associated with
patient genotypes to determine the molecular effect of genetic risk factors
on coeliac disease. The postdoc will be responsible for designing,
developing, validating and conducting these experiments, as well as
interpreting the results and writing papers in collaboration with the rest
of the team. The goal is to expedite the development of diagnostics and
treatment for coeliac disease and for other autoimmune diseases.

We are looking for a highly collaborative person with extensive experience
in techniques such as RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, DHS- or ATAC-seq, and/or 3C-seq.
You will have an affinity with immunology, genetics and epigenetics, and
molecular biology. While there will be bioinformaticians working with you
on the project, some knowledge of programming and bioinformatics is highly
preferred. You should be are able to work independently in a project
involving many people and disciplines, and highly motivated to work in an
international collaboration.

For more information, please contact Dr. Iris Jonkers (i.h.jonkers at umcg.nl)
or Prof. Cisca Wijmenga (c.wijmenga at umcg.nl).

*Position 3. Postdoc or PhD position (two years postdoc or four years PhD)
www.rug.nl/research/genetics/research/multifactorialdiseases/
<http://www.rug.nl/research/genetics/research/multifactorialdiseases/>)*
The Wijmenga group is supported by an ERC Advanced grant, an NWO Spinoza
prize, and a grant from the KG Jebsen Center for Coeliac Disease (Oslo).
Our highly international and multidisciplinary group consists of molecular
biologists, immunologists, physicians, bio-statisticians and
bioinformaticians. Within our ongoing collaboration with Prof. Ludvig
Sollid and the Jebsen Center, we are seeking *a postdoc or PhD student*to
work on a project to identify the causal genetic variants and genes for
autoimmune diseases, with an emphasis on coeliac disease. Using
state-of-the-art genomics techniques we will be zooming in on the genomic
regions that predispose individuals to these diseases. To identify the true
causal genetic risk factors, we will make use of the latest gene editing
tools to re-create or repair genetic risk factors and genes, most of which
reside in non-coding DNA. You will engineer immune cells with CRISPR/Cas9
and use reporter assays and genomics tools as read-outs to assess the
effects. Your work will fit seamlessly into the overall aim of the group to
determine the molecular and genetic basis of autoimmune diseases.

We are seeking a highly motivated postdoc or PhD student with experience in
troubleshooting and developing new technologies. Your will uncover the
function of the non-coding DNA affected by genetic variants associated with
disease risk in an unbiased way. You will set-up innovative ways to edit
non-coding DNA in a high-throughput manner, and reporter assays to quickly
assess the downstream effects of these edits. You will have great
independence in developing, performing and analyzing these experiments. We
are therefore looking for someone able to work independently, who has
experience with reporter assays, immunology and/or manipulation of immune
cells, preferentially with CRISPR/Cas9. Finally, we are seeking a scientist
who will share our ambition to perform outstanding research at the highest
international level.

For more information, please contact Dr. Iris Jonkers (i.h.jonkers at umcg.nl)
or Prof. Cisca Wijmenga (c.wijmenga at umcg.nl).

*Position 4. Postdoc position (two years) in Prof. Morris Swertz’s
group (www.systemsgenetics.nl <http://www.systemsgenetics.nl>)*
The Swertz group is supported by an NWO VIDI grant and many national and
international infrastructure grants. This group of 25 bioinformaticians
develops analysis pipelines and database support interfaces for
next-generation sequencing analysis (NGS) and the integration of
multi-omics datasets from biobank samples, as well as tools to support
personalized medicine prediction. Our algorithms, pipelines and databases
are part of the MOLGENIS open source software suite (
http://github.com/molgenis).

We are seeking a *postdoc* to coordinate and develop research opportunities
in the area of NGS data analysis at the crossroads between clinical
diagnostic work and research. As the challenge of NGS lies in data
interpretation, you will focus on novel pipelines and methods to enable
whole-genome interpretation, automated analysis/re-analysis, and
population-based ‘big data’ methods to predict health/disease outcomes. As
a postdoc you will write scientific research papers and co-supervise a team
of scientific programmers, PhD students and postdocs, while overseeing a
large high performance computing cluster of >1000 cores and a petabyte of
storage.

We are looking for someone with a PhD in bioinformatics, computer science,
molecular biology, genomics, epidemiology, artificial intelligence, or
another relevant computational science. You should have expertise in
large-scale bioinformatics and NGS analyses, be fluent in written and
spoken English with good communication skills, and be highly motivated to
further biomedical research and translate the results to the clinic. We
will appreciate excellence and a good track record in one or more of the
following: mathematics/statistics, high performance computing, machine
learning, Linux, Bash, SLURM, R, Python, Perl, Java, BWA, GATK, Jenkins,
Maven, Git, R, GWAS/gene expression, biobanking, QTLs, genetics or
epidemiology.

For more information, please contact Prof. Morris Swertz (m.a.swertz at rug.nl
).

Apply by filling your application at
http://www.umcg.nl/EN/corporate/careers/Careers/Medicalscientific_staff/Paginas/digital-application-form.aspx?pid=57

App

--
Dr. Morris A. Swertz
Coordinator BBMRI-NL common services for IT

Dept. of Genetics, CB50
University Medical Center Groningen
P.O. Box 30001
9700 RB  GRONINGEN