[BBC] [Gtpb] GTPB Bioinformatics Training course REMINDER - AET16 - Applied Evolutionary Theory

Pedro Fernandes pfern at igc.gulbenkian.pt
Tue Aug 16 20:59:47 CEST 2016

The Gulbenkian Training Programme in Bioinformatics

Applications for the bioinformatics training course

AET16 - Applied Evolutionary Theory
with Claudia Bank, Rafael Guerrero and Stephan Peischl
are open.

Please refer to the course website
http://gtpb.igc.gulbenkian.pt/bicourses/AET16
for details.

  IMPORTANT DATES for this Course
    Deadline for applications: Oct 25th 2016
    Course dates: Nov 7th - Nov 11th 2016

Course Description
For many of its history, our knowledge of evolution has been based
heavily on theoretical models and hypotheses. In the age of novel
experimental and technological approaches, we are now increasingly
able to evaluate this theory; however, the basics of how and why to
develop and analyse a simple model are often forgotten in the process
of NGS analysis. This course aims at training evolutionary biologists
in classical modelling and teach them ways to approach their own
research questions through evolutionary theory.
Primarily through interactive hands-on sessions, complemented by an
introduction to the cornerstones of modelling and its application to
data analysis, this course will familiarize the participants with ways
of approaching a research question with a simple model, and different
strategies at gaining insight from the model. In groups of two, course
participants will develop and analyse their own toy model in the
course and present their findings to the group on the last day.
Topics that will be covered in the course include the following:

     Why and how are models useful?
     How to write down/develop a model
     How simple/complicated should a model be?
     Which modelling approach/programming language should I use for my
question?
     How to nail down a question with a model
     Extracting results from an equation/simulation
     How to evaluate a model using empirical data

Participants can use their preferred programming language during the
hands-on sessions, and free access to Wolfram Mathematica will be
provided. The instructors have modelling experience using Mathematica,
R, Python, and C++.

Best regards
Pedro Fernandes

--