[BBC] PhD vacancy 'Systems biology of metabolism for human health'

Egon Willighagen egon.willighagen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 16:13:35 CEST 2016

Hi all,

I have a vacancy for a PhD position with the title "Systems biology of
metabolism for human health".

The full description can be found at AcademicTransfer:

  https://www.academictransfer.com/employer/UM/vacancy/36534/lang/en/

"Health research uses large scale (omics) methods to study the state
of an individual, organs, and increasingly tissues and even single
cells. These methods can measure gene expression, epigenetics, and
protein abundances. While great steps forward are made in these
fields, a further omics approach is upcoming. Metabolomics methods
complement the aforementioned methods, by studying the abundances of
small molecular compounds in bodily fluids, tissue samples, breath,
etc. Combining data for low molecular compounds with data for gene
products will provide an insight in how personal genetics leads to
disease related metabolic phenotypes. Changes in metabolism are
relevant for many diseases, such as metabolic diseases, hereditary
diseases, and cancers, and is also relevant in the symbiotic
interaction of the gut microbiome and the (human) body.

[...]"

I am looking for someone who can write software, has data analysis
skills, and knows a good deal of chemistry and biology.

Sharing with M.Sc. students is very much appreciated!

With kind regards,

Egon

--
E.L. Willighagen