[BBC] BioSB course: Protein Structures (4th edition) - 31 Oct-3 Nov 2017, Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Celia van Gelder celia.van.gelder at dtls.nl
Fri Oct 20 11:49:33 CEST 2017

BioSB course Protein Structures: production, prowess, power, promises, and problems (4th edition)

Date:  31 October - 3 November 2017

Location: CMBI, Radboudumc, Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Course coordinator: Gert Vriend (CMBI, Radboudumc)

Lecturers: Daniel Hoffmann (University Duisburg/Essen (TBC)), Hanka Venselaar (CMBI), Wouter Touw (CMBI)

Website:  <http://biosb.nl/education/course-portfolio/protein-structures-production-prowess-power-promises-and-problems/> course website

Registration: registration form <http://biosb.nl/education/course-portfolio/protein-structures-production-prowess-power-promises-and-problems/enrollment-protein-structures-course/>

Target audience

The course is suitable for both PhD students working in structural bioinformatics as well as for PhD students in the life sciences who want to learn more about using structural informatioin in their research. The course schedule accommodates both groups, parallel sessions for both groups will be scheduled when necessary.

Course Description

In the right hands, protein structures are a ‘power’ful tool to answer bio-molecular questions. Knowledge of the structure is a pre-requisite for rational drug design, for biotechnology, for chemical biology, and for answering a whole series of biomedical questions. In this course we will discuss the ‘production’ of protein structures by NMR, X-ray, and homology modelling. These methods all have their pro’s and cons so a certain ‘prowess’ is needed to follow all ‘promises’ and start attacking bio-medical ‘problems’ using protein structures.

The course will be split in three parts:

*	Part 1) Looking and seeing things in protein structures, learning to operate the software, understanding some of the algorithms.
*	Part 2) Protein structure determination (prediction) with NMR, X-ray, and homology modelling, and the possibilities and problems that come with each of these three techniques.
*	Part 3) Applying all that was learned in real-life example studies.

Course topics

Day 1: Homology modelling seminar

Day 2: Protein structure comparison seminars

Day 3: Electrostatics and molecular dynamics seminars

Day 4: Protein structure determination and validation seminars

Day 5: Own project executed with help from CMBI staff

Examples of questions you will be able to answer after follwing the course:

*	Why is a person with this mutation sick? Or in other words, how does the molecular phenotype cause a disease state?
*	This enzyme converts mannose. Can I make is specificity broader?
*	This enzyme doesn’t function in my in vitro assay. Should I add some ions?
*	I want to add a tag to my enzyme, should I put it on the N-terminus, the C-terminus, or is something different needed?
*	This receptor binds a ligand, but if I look at the structure, that ligand doesn’t fit at all. Can I predict motions that take place upon ligand binding?

This course is part of the <http://biosb.nl/education/course-portfolio-2/>  Education Programme of BioSB, the Netherlands Bioinformatics and Systems Biology Research School, which offers training and education for in bioinformatics and systems biology.

More information about BioSB can be found at  <http://www.biosb.nl/> www.biosb.nl.

​

​

Femke Francissen

Community manager

BioSB Research School

NEW Visiting address (as of 1 July 2017): Jaarbeurs Innovation Mile (JIM) | 6th floor Beatrixgebouw | Jaarbeursplein 6 | 3521 AL Utrecht

NEW Postal address (as of 1 July 2017): Postbus 8500 | 3503 RM Utrecht

E-mail:  <mailto:femke.francissen at biosb.nl> femke.francissen at biosb.nl

Mobile: +31 6 17 90 4888

Skype: femke.francissen

Website: www.biosb.nl <http://www.biosb.nl/>