[BBC] One week left to apply: PhD position in bioinformatics for haplotype assembly - @DelftBL - @TUDelft

Thomas Abeel - EWI T.Abeel at tudelft.nl
Mon Jan 8 12:23:10 CET 2018

We have a Bioinformatics PhD position available at The Delft
Bioinformatics Lab at TU Delft.

Project:

Your goal in this project is to create novel algorithms that resolve
haplotypes in microbial genomes. Haplotypes refer to the sequence of all
individual chromosome copies typically inherited together from a parent.
This within-species genetic heterogeneity is one of the missing pieces
in many microbial comparative genomics studies aiming to associate
genotypes with phenotypes of interest. For many organisms, we poorly
understand the contribution of the diversity within an individual, and
one of the key reasons is that we don't have the computational tools to
study this diversity.

With the continued improvements in third generation sequencing
technology, combined with the vast quantity of data being deposited
publicly, this problem is ready for a solution.

You will have three aims:
• Implement reference-guided haplotyping from pangenome reference
sequence graphs
• Explore de novo haplotyping from 3rd generation sequencing data
• Investigate copy-number detection at the gene and chromosome scale,
and intra-chromosomal DNA variation.

Candidate:

The ideal candidate has an MSc degree in bioinformatics, computer
science, or applied mathematics. Affinity with or experience in biology,
genomics and/or sequence analysis are desirable. He/she must be able to
work effectively in a multidisciplinary team. The candidate shares our
view that communication skills are important, as is the ability to
interact with peers, students, and technical staff. Programming and
scripting experience is required. Experience in microbial genomics is an
advantage.

Apply before January 15, 2018

https://www.academictransfer.com/employer/TUD/vacancy/43973/lang/en/

kind regards,