[BBC] ELIXIR-EXCELLERAE TtT, August 20-21, Antwerp

Mateusz Kuzak mateusz.kuzak at dtls.nl
Mon Jul 9 17:47:12 CEST 2018

Dear all,

I’m pleased to announce the Train the Trainer (TtT) event organised by ELIXIR-EXCELERATE, ELIXIR-Belgium and ELIXIR-NL.

Date: August 20-21, 2018
Venue: Antwerp, Belgium
Full details and the application form at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/elixir-excelerate-train-the-trainer-registration-45758467809

The course will be taught by Paula Martinez from VIB and ELIXIR-Belgium and myself. This workshop is a great way to improve teaching skills and learn modern, evidence based pedagogy. Should be of interest for anyone who teaches at various training, gives lectures or designs learning content.

COURSE DESCRIPTION:
The course is organized around four sessions, covering:
* Learning principles and how they apply to training and teaching
* Teaching techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation
* Assessment and feedback in training and teaching
* Lesson, course, and materials design
Examples and discussions will also focus on the challenges presented by academic teaching.

Who may be interested in this course?
Whoever wants to become a teacher or a better one. If you have questions like the following ones, this course may be very helpful to you.
* How learning works?
* How can I use learning principles to improve my teaching?
* How can I make my teaching more engaging and effective?
* How should I adjust my teaching to different types of learners?
* How can I help slow learners?
* How can I assess whether my students are actually understanding my
lessons? Are they actually learning?
* What is the best balance between theory and practice?
* How can I best assess whether learning is occurring and/or has occurred?
* What works in a classroom and what doesn’t?
* Etc.

This course is meant to offer guidance, ideas and tips for training/teaching design, development and delivery based on research-driven educational principles. There is no course attendance fee. The participants will need to bear their travel, hotel (if any) and meal costs. Candidates from ELIXIR nodes might apply for an ELIXIR Staff Exchange Programme Travel Grant when they fill their application form.

Apologise for cross-posting.

Mateusz

—
Mateusz Kuzak
Scientific Community Manager | Dutch Techcentre for Life Sciences
e-mail: mateusz.kuzak at dtls.nl | tel. +31 643707254
twitter: @matkuzak | github: mkuzak | skype: mkuzak

Visting address:
DTL | Jaarbeurs Innovation Mile (JIM) | 6th floor Beatrixgebouw
Jaarbeursplein 6 | 3521 AL Utrecht