[BBC] Job posting: Postdoc in Environmental Genomics & bioinformatics

Filip Volckaert filip.volckaert at kuleuven.be
Sat May 25 11:44:00 CEST 2019

Dear all,

Please find attached and at the bottom of this message our latest open position for the Genomics Core and Department of Biology at the KU Leuven. We would appreciate it if you could post this up in your job portals.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if in need of further assistance. Thank you!

Kind regards

Filip Volckaert
Professor of marine ecology and evolution
Laboratory of Biodiversity and Evolutionary Genomics
KU Leuven
Ch. Deberiotstraat 32, box 2439
B-3000 Leuven, Belgium
Phone: +32 16 32 39 72
Fax: +32 16 32 45 75
Email: filip.volckaert at kuleuven.be
Skype: filipvolckaert1

Postdoctoral fellow in Blue Biotech

The Department of Biology and The Genomics Core of the KU Leuven are currently looking for a postdoctoral fellow in Environmental genomics & bioinformatics to lead independent population genomic research and develop ESFRI-EMBRC bioinformatics services.
The successful candidate will join two international teams that study the molecular evolution of marine organisms and develop analytical tools for NGS data for research purposes, and transitions them to/towards marine scientists. The successful candidate will focus on independent scientific research in evolutionary genomics and the development of bioinformatic toolkits for external users. We also offer the possibility to develop our ongoing consultancy in marine genomics.
We are looking for a motivated and scientifically excellent candidate in environmental genomics/ bioinformatics with a problem-solving attitude to work in a collegial environment pervaded with intellectual rigor. Strong communication skills complemented with innovative and analytical thinking are important assets. Applicants must hold a PhD in a related field such as (Applied) Biology, Bioinformatics or Computational Biology. The individual we are looking for will have to be confrontable with common bioinformatics software and programming languages (Python, Perl, Java, R), and be highly motivated to solve biological problems. The successful applicant will also be adapting and implementing existing bioinformatics pipelines in an automated cloud-based analysis platform to make these algorithms available for marine biological and other fundamental biological questions. The candidate will also have an opportunity for the teaching and mentoring of students.
We look forward to receiving a motivation letter (max. 1 page), short CV (max. 3 pages), a scientific achievements track-record (max. 2 pages) including a list of your five most important publications, and three names of referees.
We offer an initial 18 Months contract (extendable with national or EU funds) a competitive salary and interactive work environment in collaboration with the European Marine Biological Resource Center (www.embrc.eu<http://www.embrc.eu>), a well-established marine research team (bio.kuleuven.be/eeb/lbeg) and the largest Genomics Service core (www.genomicscore.be<http://www.genomicscore.be>) in Belgium. KU Leuven is a research-intensive, internationally oriented university that has been elected Europe's most innovative university by Reuters and consistently ranks and features in Europe's top-15 universities within the Times Higher Education ranking. Leuven is a historic, dynamic and lively city located in the heart of Belgium, within 20 min from Brussels, the capital of the European Union, and less than 2 h from Paris, London and Amsterdam.
Working site: Leuven, Belgium
Application deadline: The application must be sent as a single PDF by email to conny.coeckelberghs at kuleuven.be with as subject 'eGenomics/bioinformatics postdoc position' by midnight June 25th 2019.
For further information contact dr. Gregory Maes, phone +32 16 37 25 22, gregory.maes@ kuleuven.be<mailto:gregory.maes@%20kuleuven.be> and/or prof. Filip Volckaert, phone: +32 16 39 72, filip.volckaert at kuleuven.be<mailto:filip.volckaert at kuleuven.be>.