[BBC] Introductory courses @ Edinburgh Genomics

TRAIN edgenomics-training edge-training at ed.ac.uk
Wed Oct 16 18:11:00 CEST 2019

Dear All

We have a great selection of introductory courses running this term so if you are just starting out with bioinformatics we should have a course just right for you. Check out the details below or on our webpage and kick start your journey into computational biology!

R for Genomics 14-15th March 2019<https://genomics.ed.ac.uk/services/r-genomics>

The aim of this course is to introduce participants to the statistical computing language 'R' using examples and skills relevant to genomic data science. This two day workshop is taught by experienced Edinburgh Genomics' bioinformaticians and trainers. By the end of the workshop, you will be comfortable with the basics of the R and R studio environments, learning about the rules of the language and how R works with different data types. We then move on to using functions, including those specific to genomic science. We look at how to handle various genomic data files and where to find relevant tools via online resources. Finally we use mock RNA-seq data to learn how to visualize your data to generate publication ready plots using the package ggplot2.

Tutor: Dr Nathan Medd
Location: Microlabs, The Chancellors Buildings, Little France Campus (BioQuarter)
Cost: £400

Register here <https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/83FGGXV>

Introduction to RNA-seq Data Analysis 18-20 November 2019<http://genomics.ed.ac.uk/services/introduction-rna-seq-data-analysis>

RNA sequencing (RNA-seq) is the method of choice for transcriptome profiling. Nevertheless, it is a non-trivial task to transform the vast amount of data obtained with high-throughput sequencers into useful information. Thus, RNA-seq data analysis is still a major bottleneck for most researchers in this field. The ability of correctly interpreting RNA-seq results, as well as knowledge on the intrinsic properties of these data, are essential to avoid incorrect experimental designs and the application of inappropriate analysis methodologies.

The aim of this workshop is to familiarise researchers with RNA-seq data and to initiate them in the analysis by providing lectures and practicals on analysis methodologies. In the practicals Illumina-generated sequencing data and various widely used software programs will be used.

Tutors: Dr Frances Turner, Urmi Trivedi
Location: Microlabs, The Chancellors Buildings, Little France Campus (BioQuarter)
Registration fee: £500

Register here<https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/9PGK7KX>

<http://genomics.ed.ac.uk/services/introduction-linux-genomics>

Linux for Genomics - 04 December 2019<http://genomics.ed.ac.uk/services/introduction-linux-genomics>

"Genomic studies produce vast amounts of data, usually in the form of very large text files. Linux is particularly suited to working with such files, and is therefore arguably one of the most important tools in a bioinformatician's toolkit. The Linux command-line enables one to view, filter and manipulate large text files that are difficult or impossible to handle with applications like Word or Excel, write pipelines to perform certain tasks, and run bioinformatics software for which no web interface is available. In this workshop we will first cover the most used Linux commands, followed by a short introduction to several popular command-line tools that were especially developed for genomics as well as file formats commonly used in genomics (BED, FASTA, FASTQ, GFF/GTF, SAM/BAM, VCF)."
Training and Outreach Manager - Edinburgh Genomics
Tutors: Dr Nathan Medd, Tim Booth
Location: Microlab 2, The Chancellors Building, The University of Edinburgh, Little France Campus
Cost: £225

Register here<https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/95GCMM8>

For more courses coming soon please check out our training web-page:

https://genomics.ed.ac.uk/services/training

Kind Regards

Nathan Medd

Training and Outreach Manager - Edinburgh Genomics

--
Edinburgh Genomics' Privacy Notice can be viewed at:
http://genomics.ed.ac.uk/about-us/privacy-notice

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely
for the use of the recipient(s) to whom they are addressed. If you have

received it in error, please destroy all copies and inform the sender.