[BBC] Open position at the European Institute for Systems Biology and Medicine

Bertrand bdemeulder at eisbm.org
Thu Jul 22 14:16:16 CEST 2021

The EISBM is hiring a developer for AI based on multiple oncology data
modalities.

    Key words:

Computational systems biology, machine learning/AI, web platform,
clinical users’ acceptance.

We are looking for a dynamic and self-driven candidate thrilled to join
an international cross-disciplinary team of biologists, clinicians,
epidemiologists and computer scientists from academy and industry in
their effort to better understand and treat solid tumour cancers.

    Scientific project:

This job offer is in relation with an Innovative Medicines Initiative
(IMI) Research and Innovation Actions project. We aim at revolutionise
oncology care in Europe by designing, developing, and delivering the
first interoperable and GDPR-compliant European real-world oncology data
and evidence generation platform, along with decision support toolsets
for prostate, lung and breast cancer. By designing this platform from
the onset based on the needs of the clinicians and patients in an
inclusive and sustainable way, the project aims to strengthen shared
decision-making based on innovative data and AI-driven technology and tools.

To achieve our vision, we have united the key partners from other
data-driven European wide oncology initiatives (PIONEER, EHDEN, HARMONY)
in our project along with Europe’s leading clinicians in the fields of
breast, prostate and lung cancer. At the core of the project are the
major guideline offices of the three indications, whilst the project is
further strengthened by patient advocacy groups, professional societies
and 6 SMEs as partners. The platform will build on existing open source
solutions such as the OMOP-CDM , tranSMART and OHDSI ATLAS whilst
developing novel AI models based on federated learning to facilitate
knowledge discovery. At the start of the project, we will already have
access to datasets covering over 120M people in Europe, along with high
quality data patient cohorts for AI model building. Moreover, the
platform will be hosted in-kind on existing infrastructure. Finally, we
envision sustainability of the platform through a value-based approach
with various business models for commercial users.

    Job context:

She/he will be part of the association EISBM led by Charles Auffray and
based in the Lyon suburban area. EISBM is an equal opportunity employer
offering attractive compensation packages and flexible working conditions.

    Scope:

-Participation in the development of AI models based on multiple data
modalities (clinical, omics, imaging…) to answer several clinical
research questions selected within the project.

-Integration of those models with the project’s web platform and with
clinical guidelines-based models developed in the project.

-Gathering and prioritization of the user’s feedback (clinicians,
researchers) using the AI models.

-Participation in the performance evaluation of the models and the web
platform, including the level of use/acceptance by the users.

    Skills:

Engineer degree with 3+ years of experience, master’s degree in computer
science with 3+ years of experience or PhD in sciences with the relevant
expertise in the following:

-Machine learning (R, python…)

-AI (deep learning, convolutional neural network, natural language
processing)

-Knowledge of the OMOP common data model

-Federated learning (e.g. NVIDIA Clara framework)

-Communication skills within an inter-disciplinary team of clinicians,
patients, epidemiologists

-Fluent in English

    Contract details:

This contract will be for up to 48 months, starting in Q4 2021.

The salary will be depending on qualifications and experience, based on
the pharmaceutical industry salary grid.

The applicants should send their CV, cover letter and two references to:
jobs at eisbm.org <mailto:jobs at eisbm.org>, with the reference
'EISBM-07-21-AI-BBC'

Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview.

  With my best regards,

Bertrand De Meulder,

Senior Researcher, association EISBM