[BBC] Open position Bioinformatics team leader and senior scientist at Galapagos (Mechelen)

Tim Van den Bulcke tvandenbulcke at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 14:43:23 CEST 2021

Team Leader Disease Bioinformatics - BE, Mechelen - Galapagos (glpg.com)
<https://careers.glpg.com/o/team-leader-disease-bioinformatics-be-mechelen>

Dear,

we have two open positions for a *Bioinformatic team leader *and a *Senior
Scientist*.

Please find more information below and apply for the jobs using these
respective links:
Team Leader Disease Bioinformatics - BE, Mechelen - Galapagos (glpg.com)
<https://careers.glpg.com/o/team-leader-disease-bioinformatics-be-mechelen>
Senior Scientist Disease Bioinformatics - Galapagos (glpg.com)
<https://careers.glpg.com/o/senior-scientist-disease-bioinformatics-mechelen>

Kind regards,

dr. ir. Tim Van den Bulcke
Head Bioinformatics
Galapagos (www.glpg.com)

---------

Team Leader Disease Bioinformatics
<https://careers.glpg.com/o/team-leader-disease-bioinformatics-be-mechelen>

*Scope of the job*

We are seeking an innovative, collaborative and accomplished Disease
Bioinformatics Team Leader to manage an existing team of senior
computational biologists. The Disease Bioinformatics Team works on various
Multi-Omics driven projects in the fields of Inflammation, Fibrosis, Kidney
and Autoimmune diseases. You will work as part of a larger dynamic
bioinformatics team with two additional bioinformatics core teams on
network/pathway modelling and on data sciences to contribute to Galapagos’
drug discovery pipeline. You collaborate with different stakeholders across
Research as well as vendors and academic researchers to ensure successful
planning, managing and execution of integrative bioinformatics projects.
You lead your team by motivating and empowering each team member and
organize the team’s resources.

More specifically, you will:

   - Lead a team of computational biologists focused on Disease Area
   projects in the bioinformatics group.
   - Act as the lead for communicating key achievements and requirements
   for the Disease Bioinformatics team with Discovery, Translational and
   Biomarker development leaders
   - Act as an influencer and thought leader by staying up to date with
   relevant scientific developments and providing scientific recommendation
   within and across teams.
   - Act as a role model for your own team by offering guidance and
   support, and mentoring their professional development
   - Organize the workload and resources of the team
   - Is accountable for the correct implementation of GLPG values,
   behaviour, process and way of working in its own team.

#LI-LB1
Job requirements

*Who are you?*

   - A Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Biology, Genetics or
   equivalent scientific discipline
   - 10 years of experience in computational biology is required with
   proven high levels of performance and publication record. A background in
   systems immunology, systems biology and/or single cell genomics and/or
   proteomics is a plus
   - A minimum of 5 years’ experience in pharmaceutical industry and drug
   development
   - Outstanding communication, organizational and leadership skills, with
   a successful track record of collaborating with cross-functional scientific
   teams and delivering on objectives in defined timelines
   - Strong experience with project conceptualization including refining
   objectives, experimental design, technology assessments and reporting
   strategies
   - Ability to identify new tools for the integrative analysis and
   visualization of integrative multi-omics datasets, assess requirements and
   strategic fit
   - Proficiency with R, Python or other scripting languages. Experience
   with data visualization platforms, data curation/organization and cloud
   computing is a plus
   - As a team player, you promote an open and supportive climate and a
   collaborative organization.
   - Your [basic / good / excellent] presentation skills guarantee a proper
   communication during meetings or amongst team.
   - Well organized, you are able to handle multiple tasks and project.

*What’s in it for you?*

You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As
‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job
successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out
among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and
organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a
highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and
achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a
competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.

*We are Galapagos: together we can make it happen…!*

*-----------------------------------------*

Senior Scientist Disease BioinformaticsJob description

Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech
company with offices in Europe in *Belgium *(Mechelen), *France *(Romainville
& Paris), *the **Netherlands *(Leiden), *Switzerland *(Basel), *Italy *
(Milano), *Spain *(Madrid), the *UK *(London), *Germany *(München), and in
the *US *(Boston).

We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and
develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before.
In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge
the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs
in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant
idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The
‘make-it-happeners’.

We are looking for a *Senior Scientist Bioinformatics – Chronic Kidney
Disease - BE/Mechelen*

*Scope of the job*

We have an opportunity for a senior bioinformatics scientist with a
profound interest in unravelling complex diseases from a holistic systems
biology perspective to join our recently expanded Bioinformatics team. Your
challenge is to contribute to and apply cutting-edge computational biology
approaches to target discovery and characterization for our rapidly
expanding research area. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary group of
bioinformaticians who closely collaborate with Disease Area Scientists and
Translational Research teams to directly impact our drug discovery pipeline.

More specifically, you will:

   - Act as the lead bioinformatics scientist for our rapidly developing
   Chronic Kidney Disease area, spanning both Research and Translational
   efforts, and contribute to Immune Inflammation and/or Fibrosis related
   projects
   - Actively participate in the conceptualization and design of
   multi-omics experiments as well as their analysis, interpretation and
   integration with key datasets in support of collaborative projects that
   fuel our drug development pipeline.
   - Contribute to our mission to develop first in class therapeutics by
   bringing expert knowledge in the computational systems biology area
   - Share our relentless drive to innovate

Job requirements

   - You have a Master’s degree or PhD in bioinformatics or Life Sciences.
   - You are a true computational system biologist, highly skilled in the
   analysis of complex biological datasets.
   - You have a solid understanding of disease driving processes such as
   dysregulation of immune/inflammation pathways preferably in the context of
   chronic kidney diseases
   - You have at least 5 years of combined academic/industry working
   experience (post PhD, or equivalent) with a proven track record of research
   achievements
   - You have ample experience working with a number of common –omics data
   types including bulk and single-cell RNA sequencing. Experience with
   computational analysis of proteomics, metabolomics or lipidomics data would
   be a considered a plus
   - You have hands-on experience running and developing, computational
   pipelines, preferably using R or Python.
   - You have successfully applied machine learning and data visualization
   strategies to prioritize functional leads and identify predictive
   biomarkers from complex biological datasets
   - You are a team player with excellent communication and organization
   skills. You are capable of assuming a leading role in high-profile projects
   with a variety of stakeholders under tight deadlines