[BBC] Postdoc Opportunity in Marine Genomics, IFREMER, France

BeNeLux bioinformaticians forum bbclist at psb.ugent.be
Wed Jun 21 06:15:42 CEST 2023

Postdoctoral Opportunity in Genomics and Bioinformatics at IFREMER Brest
(French Research Institute for the Exploration of the Sea)

Marine organisms living on intertidal habitats are exposed to highly
variable environments to which they must respond rapidly. Understanding
the mechanisms that allow intertidal organisms to respond to
environmental change is an important step to better understanding
species responses to climate change.

Protein kinases are a family of molecules that are involved in signal
transduction and stress response, and that are often involved in
detecting and modulating cellular responses to environmental change.
Increasing genomic resources allow us to examine the full complement of
protein kinases in organisms (the kinome), providing an unique
opportunity to better understand the role of kinases in the adaptation
of organisms to climate change.

We are currently seeking a postdoctoral researcher to work on the kinome
of the honeycomb worm (Sabellaria alveolata), a reef-building species
which commonly builds bioconstructions across Europe, and has been
estimated to be the largest temperate reef-builder on European shores.
We have recently sequenced and annotated the S. alveolata genome, and we
have further developed a bioinformatics pipeline which searches for
conserved motifs in protein kinases, allowing us to retrieve the kinome
for any organism (KiNext).

In order to better understand local adaptation to temperature in the
honeycomb worm, we have transplanted reef blocks from 5 locations in
Europe (Scotland, English Channel, southern Bay of Biscay, Portugal and
Morocco), exposed them to 5 temperature treatments, and sequenced
transcriptomes to examine heat stress and local adaptation to heat.

We are looking for a postdoc who will conduct the transcriptomic
analyses, examining all genes that are differentially expressed, but
with a particular focus on the protein kinases. The postdoc will use the
KiNext pipeline to annotate protein kinases, and further examine kinase
response to heat stress.

Candidates should have experience with bioinformatics (preferably
command-line). Experience with transcriptomics or ecotoxicology are
desired but not mandatory. Our funding source has eligibility criteria
which stipulates that the position be open to all nationalities except
French (unless currently residing outside of France).

Please send an email and CV to flavia.nunes at ifremer.fr by June 30, 2023.

--
Flavia Nunes

Laboratory of Coastal Benthic Ecology