[BBC] Computational biologist / AI method development - job opening @ BASF Ghent

BeNeLux bioinformaticians forum bbclist at psb.ugent.be
Mon Oct 9 17:11:41 CEST 2023

Dear,

Can you share the following job opening in my team in Ghent with the mailing list?

Best regards,

Koen

Computational Protein Engineer (basf.jobs)<https://basf.jobs/dark_blue_EMEA/job/Gent-Computational-Protein-Engineer/990213801/>

Computational Protein engineer

We are seeking an entrepreneurial and highly skilled Computational Protein Engineer with Expertise in AI methods and Molecular Biology to join our innovative team. The ideal candidate will possess a profound understanding of machine learning models in the field of protein engineering, a deep interest in plant molecular biology, and solid communication skills. As a crucial member of our research and development team, you will identify opportunities to leverage advanced AI models for protein design and optimization, and you will apply them to enhance crop traits for increased resilience and yield.

Task package:

  *   You will develop and utilize AI-driven and modeling approaches to analyze and predict protein structures, interactions, and functions, with a focus on optimizing traits related to pest control, disease resistance and yield enhancement.
  *   You collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including molecular biologists, agronomists, and bioinformaticians to integrate advanced methodologies into broader crop improvement programs.
  *   You will identify creative opportunities for developing desired agronomic traits, by leveraging on your expertise in molecular biology and machine learning methods.
  *   Furthermore, you will contribute to the development and execution of research plans, experimental designs, and data analysis pipelines.
  *   You will stay abreast of the latest advancements in protein engineering, AI methodologies, and plant molecular biology, and apply this knowledge to drive innovation within the company.
Expertise:

  *   You have a Ph.D. or equivalent in Protein Engineering, Bioinformatics, Molecular Biology, or a related field.
  *   You are known for your entrepreneurial attitude, with the ability to identify innovation opportunities that leverage on knowledge in molecular biology and machine learning methods.
  *   Additionally, you have excellent verbal and written communication skills, with experience in conveying complex scientific concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
  *   You have proven expertise in the development and application of machine learning models, including large language models (e.g., AlphaFold, ESMfold), for protein engineering and structure prediction.
  *   Proficiency in molecular biology, including a deep understanding of genomics, gene expression, signaling pathways, and metabolic processes is a must.
  *   Programming skills (Python, R, etc.) for data analysis and computational modeling are a plus.
  *   You have demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary research environment.
Benefits:

  *   Responsibility from day one in a challenging but dynamic work environment and "on-the-job" training as part of a committed team.
  *   Competitive compensation including attracting benefits as well as excellent career opportunities in an international company.

BASF is a multinational company dedicated to revolutionizing agricultural science. We are committed to developing innovative solutions that address global challenges in food security and sustainability. Our diverse team combines expertise in computational protein engineering, artificial intelligence, and plant molecular biology to create cutting-edge technologies that redefine the agricultural industry.

Do you have any questions about the application process or the job? Please contact Nele (Talent acquisition) Phone: +49 30 2005-58363.

Dr.
Koen Bruynseels
Phone: +32 474 296 225, Email: koen.bruynseels at basf.com<mailto:koen.bruynseels at basf.com>
Postal Address: BASF Belgium Coordination Center CommV, Technologiepark 101, 9052 Gent Zwijnaarde, Belgium
[cid:image001.png at 01D9FAD3.AB75FC60]
BASF Business Services NV, Registered Office: Scheldelaan 600, 2040 Antwerp 4, Belgium
Companies' Register: Handelsregister Antwerpen, 0463.642.875
Companies' Register: Rechtspersonenregister Antwerpen, 0463.642.875
Managing Director: Stefan Beck

Information on data protection can be found here: https://www.basf.com/global/en/legal/data-protection-at-basf.html