[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Mon Jul 5 11:10:01 CEST 2010

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Wednesday, July 7 2010, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Dr Yusuke Jikumaru

	       Growth Regulation Research Group
	       Plant Science Center, RIKEN Yokohama
	       JAPAN

	       "Establishment of a method for comprehensive plant
	       hormone analysis by LC-MS/MS"
Details:       ABSTRACT

	       Current studies revealed that the hormonal regulations
	       were not always independent or parallel but rather often
	       synergistic or antagonistic. In order to better
	       understand their interactive networks, we have developed
	       a method for plant hormone analysis by using a liquid
	       chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS). Our
	       objective is to establish a method for quantitative
	       analysis of as many hormones and related metabolites as
	       possible. A difficulty in this method is mainly
	       depending on their low concentrations in plants. Because
	       co-migrating impurities suppress ionization of target
	       compounds, it is necessary to establish a simple but
	       effective purification method before analysis by
	       LC-MS/MS.  We will report our current status of hormone
	       analysis.  Auxin-related compounds we analyze  are
	       indole-3-acetic acid (IAA), indole-3-aldoxime,
	       indole-3-acetaldehyde, indole-3-acetamide and IAA-amino
	       acid conjugates.  Cytokinins are trans-zeatin,
	       N6-(Δ2-isopentenyl)adenine, dihydrozeatin and their
	       3 ribosides. Abscisic acid (ABA) and its metabolites are
	       phaseic acid (PA), dihidro-PA, 7’-OH-ABA, neo-PA and
	       ABA-glycosyl ester (internal standards were kindly
	       provided by Dr. Suzanne Abrams). Gibberellins are GA1,
	       GA4 and other 12 GAs involved in GA1 and GA4
	       biosynthesis and metabolism.  Jasmonic acid (JA) and
	       precursors are OPDA, OPC:8 and metabolites including
	       JA-Ile and 12-OH-JA. Salicylic acid has been analyzed
	       relatively easily. Brassinosteroids are still difficult
	       to analyze for now, and we can only detect castasterone.
	       We will report our current results of Arabidopsis dry
	       seeds, seedlings, leaves, roots and flowers. Minimum
	       amount of plant materials we need were depending on
	       concentrations of hormones. Usually we need
	       approximately 250 mg fresh weight of plant materials for
	       general hormone analysis. We can also extend the method
	       we established for Arabidopsis to other plants.