[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Wed Nov 17 14:10:02 CET 2010

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Friday, November 19 2010, 14:00 - 15:30
Event text:    Catherine Rameau

	       Institut Jean-Pierre Bourgin UMR1318 INRA-AgroParisTech
	       Centre de Versailles-Grignon

	       FRANCE
Details:       "The use of pea and Physcomitrella patens to study the
	       evolution of strigolactone functions in land plants"

	       ABSTRACT
	       Strigolactones are small carotenoid derived molecules
	       known to be produced by plant roots and released into
	       the rhizosphere to play the same role of signalling the
	       proximity of a host root in both symbiotic and parasitic
	       interactions. They have been recently recognised as a
	       novel plant hormone controlling shoot branching.
	       For several years, we have been using garden pea (Pisum
	       sativum) and a series of high branching mutants to study
	       the control of axillary bud outgrowth and how
	       strigolactones, auxin and cytokinin interact to regulate
	       shoot branching.
	       To investigate the presence and the role of
	       strigolactones in a non-vascular plant, we have used the
	       moss Physcomitrella patens, an experimental system well
	       adapted to study the evolution of developmental
	       mechanisms in plants. Using homologous recombination, we
	       have obtained a knock-out mutant in the homologue of the
	       CAROTENOID CLEAVAGE DIOXYGENASE 8 (CCD8) gene, encoding
	       a strigolactone biosynthesis enzyme. The mutant
	       phenotype is rescued by exsudates from wild type
	       colonies, by exogenous supply of synthetic
	       strigolactones or by ectopic expression of seed plant
	       CCD8. Our data demonstrate P. patens produces
	       strigolactones which act as signalling factors
	       controlling both developmental and ecophysiological
	       processes.