[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Tue Nov 30 11:10:01 CET 2010

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Thursday, December 2 2010, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Pascal Genschik

	       Institut de Biologie Moléculaire des Plantes du CNRS
	       IBMP-CNRS - UPR2357

	       Strasbourg
	       FRANCE
Details:       "CUL4-DDB1 is required to maintain epigenetic gene
	       repression via its interaction with the Arabidopsis PRC2
	       complex"

	       ABSTRACT
	       Protein ubiquitylation regulates a broad variety of
	       biological processes in all eukaryotes. Recent work
	       identified a novel class of cullin-RING ligase (CRL)
	       composed of CUL4, DDB1, and one substrate receptor also
	       called DCAF (DDB1 and CUL4-associated factors). DCAFs
	       are WD40 proteins containing WDxR motifs that are
	       required for efficient binding to DDB1. In both human
	       and Arabidopsis, about 90 different DCAFs have been
	       predicted, but for most of them their function or
	       substrates remain still unknown.
	       Among putative Arabidopsis DCAFs we identified MSI1,
	       which belongs to an evolutionary conserved protein
	       family. MSI1-like proteins contribute to different
	       protein complexes, including the epigenetic regulatory
	       Polycomb Repressive Complex2 (PRC2). Here we will
	       present evidence that Arabidopsis MSI1 physically
	       interacts with DDB1 and is part of a multimeric
	       CRL4-type E3 complex. Interestingly the CUL4-DDB1MSI1
	       complex is required to maintain parental imprinting of
	       MEA, a target gene of the Arabidopsis PRC2 complex.
	       Moreover, we extended these studies to another MSI1-like
	       protein, called MSI4/FVE, which is involved in the
	       regulation of flowering time. Overall, we will discuss
	       the mechanism by which CRL4s are required to maintain
	       Polycomb-mediated gene repression.