[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Mon Sep 6 09:10:01 CEST 2010

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Monday, September 6 2010, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Prof Maria Helena S. Goldman

	       Department of Biology, FFCLRP, University of São Paulo

	       BRAZIL
Details:       "SCI1, A TISSUE-SPECIFIC CELL CYCLE REGULATOR THAT
	       CONTROLS STIGMA/STYLE DEVELOPMENT"

	       ABSTRACT
	       The success of plant reproduction depends on the
	       appropriate development of the reproductive organs,
	       which involves general and specific regulatory networks.
	       We have characterized a gene, SCI1 (stigma/style cell
	       cycle inhibitor 1), encoding a nuclear small lysine-rich
	       protein that exerts an inhibitory action on cell cycle.
	       qRT-PCR and in situ hybridization experiments showed
	       that SCI1 is stigma/style-specific and developmentally
	       regulated. SCI1 RNAi knockdown and overexpression
	       transgenic plants exhibited stigmas/styles with
	       remarkably enlarged and reduced areas, respectively, due
	       to differences in cell numbers. Alterations on SCI1
	       expression affected cell divisions on the stigmatic
	       secretory zone (SSZ) and the differentiation timing of
	       the papillar cells. Taken together, our results reveal
	       that SCI1 is a novel tissue-specific negative cell cycle
	       regulator that couples stigma cell division and
	       differentiation. Additionally, two-hybrid and BiFC
	       experiments showed that SCI1 interacts with A-type
	       cyclins. We conclude that SCI1 represents a novel
	       developmentally regulated tissue-specific gene that
	       controls cell proliferation/differentiation, probably as
	       a component of a signaling pathway involved in upper
	       pistil development.