[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Thu Dec 1 09:10:01 CET 2011

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Thursday, December 1 2011, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Assistant Prof Henrik Jönsson

	       Computational Biology and Biological Physics
	       Lund University

	       SWEDEN

	       &

	       Sainsbury Laboratory
	       University of Cambridge

	       UNITED KINGDOM
Details:       “Computational Morphodynamics models of the shoot apical
	       meristem”

	       ABSTRACT
	       The shoot apical meristem (SAM) is a stem cell niche
	       acting as a main regulator of above-ground plant
	       development. The maintenance of stem cells in the SAM,
	       and the initiation of organs at the periphery are
	       dependent on genetic regulation, hormone signaling, and
	       mechanical anisotropies resulting in a complex dynamical
	       system regulating organized differentiation and growth.
	       Mathematical modeling has proven to be a useful tool to
	       understand SAM development at a systems level, and the
	       use of live microscopy has increased our knowledge of
	       details in the protein dynamics associated with SAM
	       development. The emerging field of Computational
	       Morphodynamics aims at increasing the understanding of
	       developmental systems by combining computational models
	       whith microscopy data that provides four dimensional
	       experimental templates for optimizing the models, and
	       then predictions of the models are to be verified in
	       experiments, in an iterative loop between experiments
	       and computation.

	       In this talk I will discuss models for stem cell
	       regulation and primordia formation in the SAM. I will
	       give examples of models where hormone signaling and
	       transport are combined with mechanical models for
	       generating phyllotactic patterns as well as models for
	       stem cell regulation focusing on the CLAVATA WUSCHEL
	       feedback. I will further discuss how we use model
	       optimization to fit the models to templates where
	       expression regions are marked in spatial regions
	       relating to confocal images, and how this is used to
	       make model predictions for the molecular networks.