[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Wed Jun 1 09:10:02 CEST 2011

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Wednesday, June 1 2011, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Dr José M Jiménez-Gómez

	       Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research
	       Plant Breeding and Genetics Department

	       Köln
	       GERMANY
Details:       “RNA-seq analysis in tomato and its wild relatives”

	       ABSTRACT
	       Wild tomato species are native to diverse habitats in
	       South America and show wide morphological and ecological
	       diversity that has proven useful in breeding programs.
	       The current high throughput sequencing technologies have
	       the ability to characterize genome-wide genetic
	       variation in sequences, expression profiles and other
	       molecular events with an effect in adaptation and
	       development.
		We have used RNA-seq and smallRNA-seq to sequence
	       cultivated tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) and three wild
	       relatives: S. pennellii, S. habrochaites and S.
	       pimpinellifolium, generating up to 50x -150x coverage of
	       their transcriptome. Since only a draft of the genome
	       sequence of cultivated tomato is currently available, it
	       was required to combine well-established methodologies
	       with custom protocols to effectively obtain relevant
	       information from the short reads generated from the wild
	       species. Our approaches have allowed us to infer
	       genome-wide polymorphisms, species-specific expression
	       differences and small RNA landscapes in tomato. I will
	       present the rationale behind the bioinformatic protocols
	       used for our analysis and the results obtained. In
	       addition, we are now integrating the functional and
	       evolutionary information obtained to identify candidate
	       genes underlying phenotypic variation between tomato and
	       its wild relatives.