[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Wed Mar 30 14:10:01 CEST 2011

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Friday, April 1 2011, 14:00 - 15:30
Event text:    Dr José R. Dinneny

	       Temasek Life Sciences Laboratory
	       National University of Singapore

	       SINGAPORE
Details:       “Towards a spatiotemporal understanding of environmental
	       response in roots”

	       ABSTRACT
	       The response of plant roots to environmental change
	       serves as an excellent model for understanding the
	       dynamic regulation of gene expression in a multicellular
	       context.  To shed light on the spatiotemporal regulation
	       of the salt stress response in roots, we are utilizing
	       tools common to both developmental and systems biology.
	       Our studies have revealed that the salt stress response
	       is characterized by waves of transcriptional activity,
	       which are associated with dynamic changes in morphology
	       and growth rates. We have recently extended our interest
	       of environmental responses into the role that moisture
	       plays in locally regulating root growth and development.
		In a process we term “hydropatterning”, we have
	       discovered that contact of the root tip with moisture
	       elicits a cascade of changes in root development
	       including the suppression of hair initiation, activation
	       of lateral root development and changes in gravity
	       response.
	       The mechanisms for hydropatterning are currently being
	       investigated and will be discussed during the seminar.