[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Wed Feb 29 14:10:01 CET 2012

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Friday, March 2 2012, 14:00 - 15:30
Event text:    Prof Taku Demura

	       Graduate School of Biological Sciences
	       Nara Institute of Science and Technology

	       Takayama-cho
	       Ikoma
	       JAPAN

	       RIKEN Biomass Engineering Program

	       Suehiro-cho
	       Tsurumi-ku
	       Yokohama
	       JAPAN
Details:       “Transcriptional regulatory network for woody cellulosic
	       biomass/secondary cell wall production”

	       ABSTRACT
	       Woody cellulosic biomass derived from plant secondary
	       cell walls is one of the most widely utilized natural
	       materials on our planet. Recent researches found several
	       key regulatory genes controlling xylem cell
	       differentiation, such as NAC (VND7, NST1, SND1, etc) and
	       myb (MYB46, MYB83, etc) transcription factors, which
	       comprise a fine transcriptional regulatory network.
	       Based on the finding, we have established several
	       experimental systems for analyzing secondary cell wall
	       formation: Arabidopsis plants and BY-2 cells expressing
	       the VND7 fused to a glucocorticoid-receptor inducibly
	       produce secondary cell walls. I would like to discuss
	       about the possibility to modify quantity and quality of
	       woody biomass using such the basic knowledge.

	       Ohtani et al. (2011) A NAC domain protein family
	       contributing to the regulation of wood formation in
	       poplar. Plant J 67: 499-512.
	       Yamaguchi et al. (2010) VASCULAR-RELATED NAC-DOMAIN6 and
	       VNSCULAR-RELATED NAC-DOMAIN7 effectively induce
	       transdifferentiation into xylem vessel elements under
	       control of an induction system. Plant Physiol 153:
	       915-924.
	       M. Kubo et al. (2005) Transcription switches for
	       protoxylem and metaxylem vessel formation. Genes Dev.
	       19: 1855-1860.