[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Thu Jun 7 09:10:01 CEST 2012

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Thursday, June 7 2012, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Prof Gerrit Beemster

	       Laboratory for Molecular Plant Physiology and
	       Biotechnology
	       University of Antwerp

	       Antwerp
	       BELGIUM
Details:       “Virtual Leaf 2.0: An improved tool to model plant
	       growth regulation”

	       ABSTRACT
	       Virtual leaf is a software package that we developed for
	       the simulation of hormone transport and growth
	       regulation in multicellular plant organs. Over the last
	       few years we have further refined this tool, so that we
	       will be able to release a completely new version soon.
	       Improvements encompass technical aspects such as a
	       version tracking system for the software development,
	       output to a standard format (hdf5) for import in
	       external viewers and code optimization for faster
	       performance. In terms of biology we have developed
	       adaptations to enable the modelling of root tipgrowth.
	       We also implemented more physiological realistic models
	       for the regulation of cell expansion and cell division.
	       Finally we have developed bifurcation analysis
	       techniques to investigate the effect and importance of
	       individual model parameters on the overall behaviour.