[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Fri Oct 19 12:10:01 CEST 2012

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Friday, October 19 2012, 14:00 - 15:30
Event text:    Prof Frank Van Breusegem

	       VIB, Dept. of Plant Systems Biology
	       Ghent University

	       Gent
	       BELGIUM
Details:       “Oxidative Stress Signal Transduction”

	       ABSTRACT
	       Different biotic and abiotic stresses adversely affect
	       plant growth and development.  A common theme within
	       these environmental factors is the perturbation of
	       reactive oxygen species (ROS) homeostasis. The signal
	       transduction mechanisms of the oxidative stress response
	       in plants are poorly understood. W e conducted genetic
	       and chemical screens, which combined with proteomic
	       approaches will lead to a more comprehensive overview on
	       the components of the network that govern the oxidative
	       stress response. These efforts resulted in the
	       identification of a number of genes as new members of
	       the oxidative stress gene network in plants.  In our
	       recent studies,	we have identified a novel
	       transcriptional regulator of the mitochondrial
	       retrograde regulation and are assessing	the modulation
	       of cellular NAD(P) homeostasis through the perturbation
	       of sirtuins as a new strategy to improve plant
	       performance in stress conditions.