[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Thu Feb 14 09:10:01 CET 2013

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Thursday, February 14 2013, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Prof Charles White

	       Génétique, Reproduction et Développement
	       UMR CNRS 6293 - Clermont Université - INSERM U1103
	       Campus des Cézeaux
	       Université Blaise Pascal

	       Clermont Ferrand
	       FRANCE
Details:       “Roles and mechanisms of recombination in meiosis and
	       mitosis”

	       ABSTRACT
	       O. Da Ines, S. Amiard, C. Charbonnel, K. Abe, F.
	       Degroote, H. Serra, I. Mestiri, C. Goubely, E. Allain,
	       M.E. Gallego and Charles I. White

	       Working with Arabidopsis thaliana, we are studying the
	       roles and mechanisms of genetic recombination -
	       indispensable to the maintenance of genome integrity and
	       an essential source of genetic diversity. Recombination
	       acts to repair DNA damage and in particular, DNA
	       double-strand breaks (DSB). In addition to arising by
	       accident (replication, radiation, mutagens ... ), DSB
	       are naturally present at the ends of linear eukaryotic
	       chromosomes (telomeres) and also produced in a
	       programmed manner in order to induce recombination and
	       genetic exchange (meiosis). DSB are efficiently repaired
	       through multiple individual pathways of homologous or
	       non-homologous recombination and although knowledge of
	       recombination mechanisms has considerably advanced, the
	       complex interrelationships and regulation of these
	       pathways are far from being fully understood. A
	       particularly striking example of the danger of
	       inappropriate recombination is seen in the severe
	       karyotypic and genomic instability in the presence of
	       telomere dysfunction.

	       Current knowledge of roles and mechanisms of
	       recombination in plants will be presented through
	       discussion of our recent results on somatic
	       recombination pathways, responses to telomere
	       dysfunction and the differing requirements for proteins
	       of the Rad51 family in pairing of meiotic centromeric
	       regions and chromosome arms.

	       •       Da Ines, O., Abe, K., Goubely, C., Gallego, M.
	       E., & White, C. I. (2012). Differing Requirements for
	       RAD51 and DMC1 in Meiotic Pairing of Centromeres and
	       Chromosome Arms in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Genetics,
	       8(4), e1002636.
	       •       Wei Wei, Zhaoqing Ba, Min Gao, Yang Wu, Yanting
	       Ma, Simon Amiard, Charles I. White, Jannie Michaela
	       Rendtlew Danielsen, Yun-Gui Yang and Yijun Qi. (2012). A
	       Role for Small RNAs in DNA Double-Strand Break Repair.
	       Cell 149: 101-112
	       •       Amiard S, Depeiges A, Allain E, White CI,
	       Gallego ME (2011) Arabidopsis ATM and ATR Kinases
	       Prevent Propagation of Genome Damage Caused by Telomere
	       Dysfunction. Plant Cell, 23:4254-65.
	       •       C. Charbonnel, E. Allain, M.E. Gallego and C.
	       White. (2011). Kinetic analysis of post-replicative DSB
	       repair pathways in Arabidopsis. DNA Repair, 10:611-619.