[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Thu Feb 28 09:10:01 CET 2013

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Thursday, February 28 2013, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Dr Wolfgang Busch

	       Gregor Mendel Institute

	       Vienna
	       AUSTRIA
Details:       “Genome-wide association study at the cellular level
	       reveals novel regulators of root development”

	       ABSTRACT
	       Development is ultimately regulated at the cellular
	       level. The coordinated growth and development of cells
	       underlie both form and function of tissues and
	       eventually the whole organism. Assuming that assessing
	       natural variation at the cell type level might
	       facilitate the identification of novel developmental
	       regulators using quantitative genetics, we set out to
	       quantify the cellular architecture of the root in more
	       than 200 natural accessions of Arabidopsis thaliana
	       utilizing automated confocal microscopy. We found
	       widespread natural variation of morphology at the
	       cell-type level and used this variation to conduct
	       genome wide association mapping. Using expression data
	       to identify candidate genes in proximity of
	       significantly associated genome regions, and subsequent
	       characterization of T-DNA insertion lines for those
	       genes, we identified two novel regulators of root
	       development. While the F-Box family gene KUK is involved
	       in coordinating meristem length and terminal cell size,
	       another novel gene, which we designated AUT, encodes a
	       small protein that regulates the width of the root
	       vasculature. Our work not only uncovered two novel
	       players in root development but also demonstrated the
	       feasibility of GWA at the cellular level to identify
	       causal genes for basic biological processes such as
	       development.