[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Tue Jan 15 09:10:01 CET 2013

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Tuesday, January 15 2013, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Prof Lieven De Veylder

	       VIB, Dept. of Plant Systems Biology
	       Ghent University

	       Gent
	       BELGIUM
Details:       “DNA replication and endocycle control in arabidopsis
	       thaliana”

	       ABSTRACT
	       Due to their sedentary life style, plants are
	       unavoidably in close contact with agents that target
	       their genome integrity. DNA stress is a recurrent
	       problem in agriculture; not only because of an increase
	       in UV-B irradiation due to depletion of the ozone layer,
	       but also because of metalloid soil elements such as
	       aluminum and boron. To sense and react to these treats,
	       plants have evolved DNA stress checkpoint mechanisms to
	       arrest the cell cycle when DNA replication errors or DNA
	       breaks occur. In this way, cells can repair the damaged
	       DNA before entering mitosis and prevent the propagation
	       of mutations. The identification of such checkpoint
	       mechanisms can help in obtaining corps with increased
	       growth performance under genotoxic growth conditions.
	       Previously we identified the cyclin-depenent kinase
	       (CDK) inhibitory kinase WEE1 as an essential checkpoint
	       regulator upon DNA replication stress. However, WEE1
	       knockout plants do not suffer from double-strand breaks,
	       suggesting redundant checkpoint mechanisms. On basis of
	       a compendium of microarray experiments we identified a
	       novel group of genes that are rapidly and strongly
	       induced upon diverse forms of DNA stress in an ATM/ATR
	       dependent manner. The encoded proteins bind directly to
	       CDKs, to inhibit their activity and to arrest cells in
	       the G2 phase of the cell cycle. Through knockout
	       analysis we illustrated that these novel proteins, in
	       combination with WEE1, control the adaptation of plants
	       towards DNA stress.