[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Mon May 6 09:10:01 CEST 2013

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Monday, May 6 2013, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Prof Waltraud Schulze

	       Department of Plant Systems Biology
	       University of Hohenheim

	       Stuttgart
	       GERMANY
Details:       “Into the unknown: Dynamic phosphoproteomics in
	       identifying novel functions for a plant receptor kinase”

	       ABSTRACT
	       Growth and development of plants depends on uptake and
	       assimilation of nutrients. Many assimilation products of
	       macronutrients are not only essential for plant growth
	       but also have signaling functions. Similarly to hormones
	       they can trigger and control various metabolic,
	       physiological and developmental processes. The nutrient
	       and sugar induced signal transduction events upstream of
	       transcription are less well understood. Since signaling
	       pathways involve protein phosphorylation,
	       modification-dependent changes in protein abundance and
	       activity can be important features in signaling
	       networks. Therefore, the analysis of phosphorylation
	       events of membrane proteins under different nutrient
	       regimes, and their dynamics was analyzed with the aim to
	       identify proteins involved in early nutrient signaling
	       processes. Using systems biology approaches such as
	       clustering of time-course data and respective network
	       reconstruction we are able to identify candidate
	       proteins as key players in the plant signalling
	       networks. Based on the network model, we generate new
	       biological hypotheses on novel protein functions that we
	       experimentally verified in tailored physiological and
	       cell biological experiments. An example of a novel
	       function for a plant receptor kinase in context of
	       sucrose-induced responses will be discussed.