[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Tue Oct 1 14:10:01 CEST 2013

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Thursday, October 3 2013, 14:00 - 15:30
Event text:    Korneel Vandenbroucke

	       Bayer CropScience

	       Gent
	       Belgium
Details:       POSTDOC INNOVATION SEMINAR

	       “Inside Bayer CropScience: “To Propel Farming’s Future”

	       ABSTRACT
	       At Bayer CropScience, everything starts with local
	       insight. We dig deep into the specific issues farmers
	       face. What’s keeping them awake at night? Is it a new
	       pest or government regulations? Poor soil or lack of
	       water? The opportunities and challenges driving the
	       global agricultural community are as fascinating as they
	       are daunting. A rapidly growing world population
	       increases global demand for food, fiber as well as
	       renewable raw materials. Changes in our climate threaten
	       harvests and impact yields. Improving our living
	       standard worldwide comes with an ever increasing demand
	       for high-quality, healthy and affordable food. Such
	       challenges require sophisticated answers. Our corporate
	       promise “Bayer: Science for a Better Life” is the
	       foundation of what we at Bayer CropScience strive to
	       achieve within the agricultural industry. We have
	       extraordinary expertise, the passion and integrity of
	       farmers, the willingness to listen closely to our
	       customers’ needs across the globe, and the vision to
	       foresee issues and seize opportunities across the entire
	       value chain. At Bayer CropScience, we foster an
	       environment of collaboration across different
	       disciplines at the intersection of chemistry and
	       biology, as well as across cultures and markets. Every
	       day, we bring together expertise in seeds, breeding,
	       crop protection biologics and chemistry as well as
	       environmental science solutions. We aim to create the
	       products and services to solve some of the key
	       challenges in agriculture. But even as an industry
	       leader, we will not be able to solve agriculture’s
	       challenges alone. Game-changing ideas need diversity in
	       experience, expertise and perspective to evolve, mature
	       and become reality. Part of our quest therefore is to
	       look ahead and beyond the current solutions and existing
	       partnerships towards even broader initiatives. Our
	       objective is to go beyond products, technologies, and
	       work with others to trigger great ideas. Our combined
	       R&D organization unites three areas: Small Molecules,
	       Biologics and Seeds – all cooperating to build a unique
	       position in plant health research. Our seeds business
	       unites the expertise of plant physiologists and
	       geneticists, of molecular and cellular biologists, of
	       bioinformaticians and breeding experts. The main purpose
	       of Seeds Research, located at innovation centra in RTP
	       and Ghent, is to discover new traits and bring them to
	       proof-of-concept. Our most important crops are soybeans,
	       wheat, cotton, oilseed rape, corn and rice. The trait
	       focus is on herbicide tolerance, insect control, yield
	       enhancement and drought tolerance. Furthermore, our work
	       on non-GM Traits supports the development of crop
	       varieties that match the requirements of the relevant
	       markets perfectly.