[Seminars] PSB event reminder

contact at psb.vib-ugent.be contact at psb.vib-ugent.be
Mon Oct 7 09:10:01 CEST 2013

Calendar Name: seminars
Scheduled for: Monday, October 7 2013, 11:00 - 12:30
Event text:    Dr Annabelle Haudry

	       Laboratoire de Biometrie et Biologie Evolutive
	       Universite Lyon 1 - UMR CNRS 5558

	       Villeurbanne cedex
	       FRANCE
Details:       “Selection on noncoding DNA in the Brassicaceae ”

	       ABSTRACT
	       Despite the central role of noncoding DNA in gene
	       regulation and evolution, our understanding of the
	       genomic extent and nature of selection on plant
	       noncoding regions remains limited. Taking advantage of
	       newly sequenced genomes in the Brassicaceae, we combined
	       comparative genomics and population genomics approaches
	       to analyze patterns of molecular evolution and the
	       strength of selection of noncoding DNA. We conducted
	       whole genome alignments of nine
	       Brassicaceae species, including two new genome
	       assemblies from the DOE Joint Genome Institute (Capsella
	       rubella and Eutrema halophila) and de novo Illumina
	       assemblies of three additional species by the VEGI
	       project (Aethionema arabicum, Sisymbrium irio, and
	       Leavenworthia alabamica). Using a systematic
	       computational approach we identified
	       over 90,000 conserved noncoding regions (CNSs) that show
	       a degree of conservation across species similar to
	       average coding exons and no evidence of expression or
	       coding potential. Gene ontology analysis revealed a
	       significant enrichment of CNSs near transcription
	       factors and CNSs were found to be enriched in known
	       transcription factor binding sites. These results
	       support the potential regulatory function of CNSs.
	       Population genomic analyses in A. thaliana and C.
	       grandiflora showed reduced levels of diversity and
	       excess of rare variants for CNSs compared to
	       neutral expectation, confirming that most CNSs evolve
	       under purifying selection. Our analysis indicates the
	       strength of selection acting on plant noncoding regions,
	       highlighting the likely importance of these regions for
	       functional variation and adaptive evolution.