[BBC] [Gtpb] HP

Pedro Fernandes pfern at igc.gulbenkian.pt
Mon Sep 29 19:32:18 CEST 2014

                    ANNOUNCEMENT

The Gulbenkian Training Programme in Bioinformatics is pleased to
announce that the applications for the hands-on Bioinformatics
training course

HPND14
Hunting for Promoters with NGS data

are now OPEN. Please have a look at our website here:
http://gtpb.igc.gulbenkian.pt/bicourses/HPND14/

We will have Edgar Wingender and Philip Stegmaier as instructors.

  Course description:

This course is set-up to review the basic principles of gene
regulation and the corresponding bioinformatic problems. It will start
with the computational prediction of promoters and distant enhancers
and will deal with the analysis of the structure of such regions by
identifying binding sites for transcription factors. The most
intriguing parts of genomes, still not completely understood, are the
gene regulatory regions – mostly promoters and enhancers. A complete
annotation of a newly sequenced genome has to address the
identification of these regions in addition to the classical task of
finding genes in terms of coding regions. Regulatory regions define
when, where and under what conditions genes become active and, thus,
are part of the fundamental function of a gene. In this course, we
will overview some of the experimental methods such as next generation
sequencing (NGS) techniques for genome-wide epigenetic analysis such
as ChIP-seq, which have revolutionized our ways for studying the gene
regulatory mechanisms. The attendees will learn about several
techniques of finding promoters and enhancers and the principles on
which these methods are based on. In the "hands on" exercises, several
analytical tools will be introduced and the results critically
evaluated to assess their reliability.

Objectives:

The course will consist of lectures that lay out the conceptual
framework as needed and and "hands on" exercises, which will provide
the practical insight on the use of the methods, gradually, in order
to produce skills that can be used with a relatively high degree of
independence. Participants will learn how to set-up some of the
programs, and use publicly available servers for more complex
analytical jobs, in an informed fashion, so that they fully understand
the output generated and how its quality can be assessed. Participants
will also learn the novel principles of organization of gene
regulatory regions, which will help them to interpret their results of
genomic and transcriptomic studies.

Thank you for your continued interest

P.Fernandes
GTPB Coordinator