[BBC] PHD POSITION IN XOMICS DATA ANALYSES AND INTEGRATION IN PRECISION HEALTH

Gokhan Ertaylan egokhan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 14:34:39 CEST 2020

 We are looking for a highly motivated candidate for the Ph.D. position in
XOMICS DATA ANALYSES AND INTEGRATION IN PRECISION HEALTH (
https://vito.be/en/jobs/phd-position-xomics-data-analyses-and-integration-precision-health
)
as advertised below. Please feel free to forward it to interested parties.
The position is part of a strong collaboration with VITO and the University
of Hasselt, where the candidate will have the opportunity to experience
working in both Institutions.

*Deadline: 21/08/2020 *(The position will be open until a
matching candidate is being selected regardless of the deadline)

Gökhan Ertaylan, PhD

Principal Investigator - Health

VITO NV | Boeretang 200 | 2400 Mol

Phone tel:+3214335270

Vision on technology for a better world

DESCRIPTION
Our established healthcare system is no longer sustainable due to the aging
population demographics and the transformation of many fatal disorders into
chronic diseases. Preventive healthcare is rising to the challenge of
providing early diagnosis and assistance to the risk group populations,
effectively allowing individuals to live healthy instead of living with
chronic diseases. Within the “I am Frontier
<https://iammyhealth.eu/en/i-am-frontier>” cohort, we are following 30
healthy participants on a monthly basis, which we use to generate different
omics data sets including (but not limited to) genomics (Whole Genome
Sequencing), epigenetics (Methylation), clinical biomarkers, microbiome,
proteomics and metabolomics. Moreover,  we collect information about
physiological parameters (heart rate, sleep patterns …) and lifestyle
(activity, food intake, stress, ...) via questionnaires and wearables. This
data, used in combination with data from a range of disease, profiles allow
us to calculate individual risk profiles for a range of diseases.
The aim of this bioinformatics project is to develop new approaches to data
integration, analysis, and visualization in high-dimensional cross -omics
datasets. Beginning with genomics, epigenetics, proteomics, metabolomics,
and microbiome data generated on samples from the I am cohort, the Ph.D.
candidate will develop methods to discover the relationships across these
datasets, identify relevant patterns in the data and relate these to
available public databases. Moreover, those data can also be correlated to
a wide range of clinical parameters as well as data obtained using activity
trackers.
We are looking for a highly motivated and scientifically excellent
candidate in genomics/bioinformatics background with a problem-solving
attitude to work in an international, collegial environment. Strong
communication skills complemented with innovative and analytical thinking
are important assets.

Collaboration with University of Hasselt
Registration deadline: 21/08/2020

QUALIFICATION
You will work in a multidisciplinary environment under the supervision of
senior scientists experience in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology and
Data science, and under the guidance of a university promotor.

   - Applicants should hold a MSc degree in bioinformatics, biological
   disciplines (e.g. biomedical sciences, medicine, bioengineering science or
   equivalent) or computer science. Master students that obtain such a degree
   later this academic year can also apply.
   - Candidates with a biomedical background are expected to demonstrate
   basic programming experience (e.g. R,Linux bash, Python).
   -  Candidates with a computational background should demonstrate basic
   biology knowledge.
   - A strong interest and motivation in omics data analysis is required.
   - Candidates should be team players and have strong analytical
   problem-solving skills (creative, critical, and open-minded).
   - Good oral and written communication skills in English.

Application Procedure:
We look forward to receiving a motivation letter (max. 1 page), a short CV
(max. 3 pages), a transcript from the MSc degree, and three names of
referees.

OFFER

We offer:

   - a 4-year PhD-research project (candidates will be encouraged to apply
   for FWO grants in 2020).
   - a competitive enumeration during the PhD period
   - participation in an exciting project on personalized and preventive
   health care.
   - a career development opportunity with access to data derived from
   cutting edge technologies and analysis platforms
   - to become a member of a dynamic and multi-disciplinary research team.
   - to embed in a research context with different top-research teams with
   a broad range of expertise.