[BBC] [Gtpb] ARANGS12 - Bioinformatics Training Course anouncement

Pedro Fernandes pfern at igc.gulbenkian.pt
Tue Jul 31 15:13:07 CEST 2012

                           ANNOUNCEMENT

Here is a useful NGS analysis course suitable for a wide variety of
researchers.
The requirements are minimal. Participants will understand usage of
NGS data analysis tools and will know how to chain them into very
handy analytical pipelines. Plenty of worked examples and exercises in
4 days.

NOTE: The application deadline is quite short, our excuses. We are
using an unforeseen window of availabilities. It does matter to apply
quickly, as the course dates are in early September.

             BIOINFORMARICS HANDS-ON TRAINING COURSE

     ARANGS12 -  Automated and reproducible analysis of NGS data

with Rutger Vos (Naturalis, Leiden, NL) and Darin London (Duke
University, USA)

   IMPORTANT DATES for ARANGS12
    Deadline for applications: August 27th 2012
    Notification of acceptance dates:
         EARLY: August 15th 2012
    (on special request, see Application)
         NORMAL: September 3rd 2012
    Course date: September 11th - September 14th 2012

Course Description

Next generation sequencing (NGS) technologies for DNA have resulted in
a yet a bigger deluge of data. Researchers are learning that analysing
such data sets is becoming the bottleneck in their work. In many
cases, several steps in these analyses are fairly generic (e.g.
quality control filtering, alignment to reference sequences, typing)
so that off-the-shelf pipelines can be applied. In other cases, novel
research approaches require development of new analysis pipelines.
Either way, all analysis steps should be repeatable and any changes
made to the data (e.g. renaming, annotation, alignment) should be
recorded so that the provenance of the results is clear and inferences
are reproducible. In this brief workshop we will establish several
best practices of reproducibility and provenance recording in the
(comparative) analysis of data obtained by NGS. In doing so we will
encounter the commonly used technologies that enable these best
practices by working through use cases that illustrate the underlying
principles.

Target audience
This course is aimed at researchers who've recently embarked on NGS
projects and now, faced with large amounts of data, would like to
learn how to automate generic analysis steps and develop new ones in a
reproducible (and shareable) way. The course will be illustrated with
examples from specific single-celled and multicellular taxa but the
concepts are applicable to any species not explicitly referred to in
the course. The ideal attendee is a scientist who is not afraid to get
his/her hands dirty to acquire the computer-literacy skills for
dealing with the informatics side of data analysis.

Futher details, including application instructions available at
http://gtpb.igc.gulbenkian.pt/bicourses/ARANGS12

thank you for your interest

Pedro Fernandes

--