[BBC] Symposium: Genomics In Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, ILVO, 21 April 2016

Katrijn Vannerum Katrijn.Vannerum at UGent.be
Tue Mar 1 11:14:28 CET 2016

 [1456228629220_PastedImage]

Dear colleague,

The Institute for Agricultural and Fisheries Research (ILVO) is pleased to invite you to the Symposium: Genomics In Agriculture, Fisheries and Food<http://www.ilvogenomics.be/EN/Symposium/Home>, which will be held on 21st of April 2016, in Melle, Belgium.

Scope

Genomics has radically changed the way we study the genetic composition and functionality of plant and animal populations and microbial communities. In this symposium, we present you an overview of current applications of ILVO`s Genomics Platform in our research program geared towards agriculture, fisheries and the food sector. For example, monitoring the composition of organisms, populations and communities, allows to understand their interaction with the environment, to steer (meta)populations towards optimal agronomical or ecological properties, or to develop diagnostic tools and control measures for harmful (micro)organisms in water, soil, and food.

Programme<http://www.ilvogenomics.be/EN/Symposium/Programme/Default.aspx>

Four invited speakers will present current applications of genomics and computational biology tools in conservation biology, for development of healthy and tasty food, in livestock breeding and to decipher functions in genomes. In addition, 18 ILVO scientists will present current research in four areas:

  *   Genome structure, function, and diversity
  *   Environmental and population genomics
  *   Genomics for food quality and gastrointestinal microbial communities of livestock
  *   The first and second plant genome function

During Meet&Greet sessions, there will be plenty of opportunity to discuss with the presenters about their experiences with applied genomics, and exchange ideas about future applications. We close the day with a networking reception.

Deadlines and other practical information

For up to date information on the symposium background, programme, venue, and registration<http://www.ilvogenomics.be/EN/Symposium/Registration/Registrationnon-ILVOemployee/tabid/9481/language/nl-BE/Default.aspx>, please check our website<http://www.ilvogenomics.be/EN/Symposium/Home>.

Registration fee: 50€ for non-ILVO employees, includes registration, lunch and reception.

Maximum number of participants: 150

Deadline for registration: April 4st, 2016

With further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at genomics_symposium at ilvo.vlaanderen.be<mailto:genomics_symposium at ilvo.vlaanderen.be>

We are looking forward to meeting you in Melle.

With kind regards,

The Organizers