[BBC] BioSB Course: Algorithms for Biological Networks (4rd edition) - registration open!

Femke Francissen femke.francissen at biosb.nl
Tue Mar 1 11:52:08 CET 2016

*BioSB Course: Algorithms for Biological Networks (4rd edition) *

   - *Date:* 23-27 May 2016
   - *Course coordinators:* Dick de Ridder (WUR), Jeroen de Ridder (TUD)
   - *Location:* Delft University of Technology (TUD), Delft, the
   Netherlands
   - *Website:*
   http://biosb.nl/education/course-portfolio/course-algorithms-for-biological-networks/
   - *Registration:* follow this link <http://bit.ly/1WT8ODe>
   - *More information:* education at biosb.nl

*Target audience*
PhD students with a background in bioinformatics, computer science or a
related field; a working knowledge of basic statistics and linear algebra
is assumed.

*Course Description *
In the fourth edition of this course, we will first give a brief overview
of molecular biology, the advent of high-throughput measurement techniques
and large databases containing biological knowledge, and the importance of
networks to model all this. We will highlight a number of peculiar features
of biological networks. Next, a number of basic network models (linear,
Boolean, Bayesian) will be discussed, as well as methods of inferring
networks from observed measurement data and of integrating various data
sources and databases to refine networks. Once networks are derived they
often serve as the cornerstone in the visualization, analysis and
interpretation of high-throughput data; we will discuss a number of methods
in this area.

As an alternative to static networks, a number of alternative dynamic
network models more suited for high-level simulation of cellular behaviour
for will be introduced. Finally, we will give some examples of algorithms
exploiting the networks found to learn about biology, specifically for
inspecting protein interaction networks and for finding active sub networks.

*Course programme*
The course website, including full course programme, can be found at
http://helix.ewi.tudelft.nl/nbic/abn/.

*BioSB Course Programme*
The Education Portfolio of BioSB can be found at
http://biosb.nl/education/course-portfolio/.

*More information*
For more information about the course you can contact Celia van Gelder at
education at biosb.nl.

*​*