[BBC] [Gtpb] Large-scale bioinformatics for Immuno-Oncology - Course announcement for Sept 2018

Pedro L. Fernandes pfern at igc.gulbenkian.pt
Mon Jul 10 23:07:07 CEST 2017

IO17
Large-scale bioinformatics for Immuno-Oncology
    with Francesca Finotello and Federica Eduati

    IMPORTANT DATES for this Course
    Deadline for applications: Aug 30th 2017
    Course dates: Sept 20th - Sept 22nd 2017

Candidates with adequate profile will be accepted in the next 72 hours
after the application, until we reach 20 participants.

Course description:
The immuno-oncology approach leverages on the unique capability of the
immune system to recognize and kill tumour cells. This action is
hampered by escape mechanisms put in place by tumour cells like, for
instance, the engagement immune checkpoints, i.e. inhibitory molecules
that modulate the amplitude and duration of immune responses.
Immunotherapies that block checkpoint molecules are amongst the most
promising approaches in immuno-oncology for the enhancement of
antitumour immunity. Thanks to high-throughput technologies, such as
next-generation sequencing (NGS) and proteomics, we have now access to
large-scale tumour data that can be used to investigate the interplay
between tumour and immune cells and the role of the immune system in
tumour progression and response to therapy. In this course, you will
learn to use bioinformatics tools and mathematical modelling
techniques operating on high-throughput tumour data, in order to
extract features that can be used to characterise this complex
tumour-immune cell interface, such as:

     - tumour antigens recognized by T cells
     - tumour-infiltrating immune cells
     - deregulated signalling pathways in cancer and immune cells

A fully practical, hands-on approach will ensure that the newly
acquire skills can be used with a great deal of autonomy.

Additional details here:
http://gtpb.igc.gulbenkian.pt/bicourses/IO17/

We hope that this training course will meet your interests,

Pedro Fernandes
--
Pedro L. Fernandes
Bioinformatics Training Coordinator