[BBC] PhD student bioinformatics and the origin of eukaryotes (1.0 FTE) Utrecht University

Berend Snel b.snel at uu.nl
Wed Feb 14 21:16:24 CET 2018

Dear all,

I would like advertise the following PhD position,

best wishes,
Berend Snel

PhD student bioinformatics and the origin of eukaryotes (1.0 FTE) Utrecht
University

Function
You are a PhD student to join our team as part of a project that
addresses the origin and ancient evolution of the eukaryotes, funded
by a recently awarded NWO VICI grant. The earliest stages of
eukaryotic evolution are characterised by a drastic increase in
cellular and genomic complexity: already before the last common
ancestor of all modern eukaryotes cellular components like the
nucleus, cilia, mitochondria, and the elaborate endomembrane system
had arisen. You will use our unique in-house collection of eukaryotic
genome sequences, some of which have only recently become available,
to reconstruct ancestral gene repertoires using bioinformatic
techniques. In combination with prokaryotic genome sequences, these
repertoires will enable you to elucidate the processes that resulted
in the increase in complexity, such as gene and whole-genome
duplications, endosymbiosis and horizontal gene transfer.

Profile
You, as the ideal candidate, have a background in bioinformatics, data
analysis, cell biology, and/or evolutionary biology. You are
ambitious, you fit well in our team and you have a strong drive to
succeed as a scientist. You will work in a large, dynamic and diverse
Computational Biology department. You will be directly supervised by
your promotor Prof Berend Snel, and collaborate with two other PhD
students and a postdoc within the NWO VICI project.

The Evolutionary Genomics lab at Utrecht University researches the
interplay between network and genome evolution by bioinformatic
analysis of novel high throughput data and novel genome sequences. By
analyzing this interplay we study the predictability of genome
evolution, the origins of eukaryotic cellular complexity, and the role
of recurrent gene loss and gene duplication in the evolution of
cellular processes. In addition to global bioinformatics analyses we
study the evolution of individual proteins in collaboration with
molecular biology labs at the Science Faculty, the Hubrecht Institute
and the UMCU. The evolutionary genomics lab has a leading role in the
Utrecht Bioinformatics Center and is embedded within the Theoretical
Biology and Bioinformatics group studying various areas in biology
with a variety of computational approaches.

For more information and/or to apply see:
http://www.peoplexs.com/Peoplexs22/CandidatesPortalNoLogin/Vacancy.cfm?PortalID=4063&VacatureID=953243