[BBC] Advanced bachelor programme of bioinformatics via distance learning

Howest bit at howest.be
Fri Apr 20 09:15:37 CEST 2018

If you are not able to see this mail, click http://mrbe.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/2d8puzbwqx0jf.html

Please feel free to forward to anyone who might be interested

Dear colleague,

We would like to inform you about the start of our advanced bachelor programme of bioinformatics via distance learning (@home). The programme is intended for every technician (bachelor), master and PhD with a profound knowledge of molecular biology and an interest in (bio)informatics who is currently working in the biological or biomedical work field.

During the two years programme (30 ECTS/year) we focus on new and emerging technologies within the work field and the application of computer science techniques for “wet lab” problems. We divide the course units in three categories: informatics, bioinformatics and programming. Within the field of informatics, you learn to work on a Unix system, to store biological data in databases and to analyse large datasets using data mining techniques. Second, you become familiar with comparative genomics, structural bioinformatics, systems biology and the analysis of high-throughput experimental data. In the last important topic, programming skills are introduced to create web applications (HTML, PHP, CSS), to script bioinformatics pipelines in Python and to perform statistical and exploratory analysis in R.

The programme is organized at the request of the labour market and several courses are given by experts in the field. After two years the transformation from wet-lab to dry-lab scientist is complete, future proof to work within a constantly changing working field and a perfect blend between the ICT expert and the molecular biologist.

Per module three contact moments of two hours are organized. The contact moments take place every two weeks on the campus in Bruges from 6 PM to 8 PM, but can also be followed via live stream on YouTube. The subject matter is mainly processed via self-study, in combination with coaching/exercises/questions or a crash course during the contact moments. During the first year, it is possible to apply for educational leave to follow the programme.

If you are interested to follow the advanced bachelor programme of bioinformatics, please come and visit us at one of the [ information sessions on the campus ]( http://mrbe.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/track/click/9gyvfxbh8qx0jd ). You can also have a look on the [ website ]( http://mrbe.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/track/click/9gyvfxc9oqx0jd ) for more information or contact us at [ bit at howest.be ]( mailto:bit at howest.be ).

Best regards,

Advanced Bachelor of Bioinformatics
Biomedical Laboratory Science
Howest University of Applied Sciences

Howest University of Applied Sciences
Campus Rijselstraat
Rijselstraat 5 - 8200 Brugge
Tel.: +32 50 38 12 77
[  ]( http://mrbe.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/track/click/9gyvfxd24qx0jd )

Please feel free to forward to anyone who might be interested

[
Unsubscribe here  ]( http://mrbe.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/2d8puzbwqx0jg.html )

© 2018 Howest