[BBC] Last few places available on introductory Linux and R courses

TRAIN edgenomics-training edge-training at ed.ac.uk
Mon Feb 25 18:21:16 CET 2019

There are still a handful of places left on our introductory bioinformatics courses running this March.

Both cater for absolute beginners so do not fear if you have no previous coding experience: we've got you covered!

And don't forget if you are funded by NERC, or work on research within their remit, we may be able to offer you a bursary to cover the cost of your course. Get in touch with us at this address.

The courses

Linux for Genomics - 13 March 2019

"Genomic studies produce vast amounts of data, usually in the form of very large text files. Linux is particularly suited to working with such files, and is therefore arguably one of the most important tools in a bioinformatician's toolkit. The Linux command-line enables one to view, filter and manipulate large text files that are difficult or impossible to handle with applications like Word or Excel, write pipelines to perform certain tasks, and run bioinformatics software for which no web interface is available. In this workshop we will first cover the most used Linux commands, followed by a short introduction to several popular command-line tools that were especially developed for genomics as well as file formats commonly used in genomics (BED, FASTA, FASTQ, GFF/GTF, SAM/BAM, VCF)."

Duration: 1 day (9am - 5pm)
Location: Ashworth Laboratories, Kings Buildings Edinburgh, EH9 3FL
Spaces: 12
Cost: £225
More information: https://genomics.ed.ac.uk/services/linux-genomics
Register: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/WNC23SS

And

R for Genomics 14-15th March 2019

"The aim of this course is to introduce participants to the statistical computing language 'R' using examples and skills relevant to genomic data science. This two day workshop is taught by experienced Edinburgh Genomics' bioinformaticians and trainers. By the end of the workshop, you will be comfortable with the basics of the R and R studio environments, learning about the rules of the language and how R works with different data types. We then move on to using functions, including those specific to genomic science. We look at how to handle various genomic data files and where to find relevant tools via online resources. Finally we use mock RNA-seq data to learn how to visualize your data to generate publication ready plots using the package ggplot2."

Duration: 2 days (9am - 5pm)
Location: Ashworth Laboratories, Kings Buildings Edinburgh, EH9 3FL
Spaces: 12
Cost: £400
More information: https://genomics.ed.ac.uk/services/r-genomics
Register: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/WJMTXNJ